Advanced search

Limit on 15yo screen time?

(16 Posts)
Cath5678 Tue 03-Feb-15 08:03:42

My DD1 is nearly 15 (next month) and until now I have always taken her phone and laptop away at 9pm. She hates this and feels it is a great injustice and I was wondering if you think we should stop the limit once she is 15?

janinlondon Tue 03-Feb-15 08:47:58

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Tue 03-Feb-15 08:55:15

I would make it later but still take it. I have made a rod for my own back by not doing this!

TheFairyCaravan Tue 03-Feb-15 08:57:07

We never did. Our DC (18&20) have suffered no ill effects.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 03-Feb-15 08:57:59

I mean we never had a limit, I wasn't clear in my post. Sorry. blush

Artandco Tue 03-Feb-15 09:02:21

I would say she can keep it, but on condition she is old enough to self restrict, so you do expect her to learn to turn it off at a reasonable hour etc

darlingfascistbullyboy Tue 03-Feb-15 09:05:16

10pm on school nights here (not just screens though - lights out etc). dd (14yo) has to be on the train to school at 6:45am. We tried hoping she'd be sensible & it didn't work! She's (& we are) much happier now.

9pm is very early especially if she doesn't have a massive commute to school and other evening commitments (dd has theatre rehearsals 3+ nights a week & doesn't get home until past 10:30 on those nights).

Fairylea Tue 03-Feb-15 09:09:56

9 pm is really early for a 15 year old. I'd say 10 or even 10.30 is much more reasonable.

My dd is 11 and her screen curfew is 9!

noblegiraffe Tue 03-Feb-15 09:13:08

No. I'm a teacher and teenagers really struggle with restricting their own access to electronic devices. Many come into school tired because their phones have been pinging all night with messages and updates.

Perhaps allow till 10pm, but I would definitely not allow her to keep her phone in her room overnight for the sake of her quality of sleep.

Artandco Tue 03-Feb-15 09:15:06

Oh however I would say she could use but not in bedroom. That's because I don't agree with any screens in bedroom though, even as adults

TeenAndTween Tue 03-Feb-15 10:59:16

I'd keep the restriction.
Or at minimum off 1 hour before usual bedtime.

PeaStalks Tue 03-Feb-15 12:48:45

Lots of threads on screen time including a very good one here

I think your rules are draconian for a 15 year old unless there is more to it than you say. At some point they must learn. When do you think is a good time? Do you expect your child to go to university? It's only 3 years away and the time to learn independent study, self regulation and moderation is now and not when they are 100s of miles from home faced with all kinds of new experiences and distractions. No one will take away the laptop at 9pm then.

Bowlersarm Tue 03-Feb-15 12:58:13

School nights we have phone out of bedroom at 10.00. Weekends and holidays, it's their choice.

Mumteadumpty Tue 03-Feb-15 20:29:29

We have laptop out at 9 and phone at 10pm on school nights, with an hour later for both at weekends and holidays, which works well for us.

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 03-Feb-15 20:35:21

Wi-fi for the nearly 15 year old finishes at 9pm. He occasionally watches TV with us till 9.30. He is mostly self-regulating.

The nearly 13 year old is not self-regulating at all. <sigh>

INickedAName Tue 03-Feb-15 21:49:58

Dd (10 next week) is pretty good at self restricting and most nights has PC and Xbox turned off and puts herself into bed with a book at around 8ish week nights or 9 ish weekends. Tonight id said 9 though as she had something on after school and I'd agreed she could play later but she was tired and turned it off at 8. A few of her friends are still online at 10pm which I thinks a bit late for 9/10 yr olds.

You could stop the limit and see how it goes, or just move the switch off time further back to maybe 10 or 10.30. I know my 15 and 13 year old nephews have 11pm twitch off times but their mum is relaxed and she doesn't check they've stuck to it or remove the devices, they don't seem to have any negative effects from it, do well at school, not tired during day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now