Talk

Advanced search

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?? Need some positive stories, please

(10 Posts)
cleo14 Sun 11-Jan-15 19:58:54

Looking for some responses from parents who have been through the roller coaster ride of parenting a teenager. My ds almost 15 has always been a bit of a handful but when he's good, you couldn't ask for a nicer child ( which if I'm honest is most of the time). I'm not surprised he's turned into a teenager with bells on and the physical change in him recently is crazy- he looks like a man!! (My boy has gone!). Looking for any positivity as I'm struggling a bit just now, he's pushing every boundary and there's been a bit of experimenting with alcohol and weed and also truanting. I'm dealing with all this but feeling a bit frazzled!!

Heyho111 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:45:56

Hi. Please read the book. Get out my life but first take me and Alex into town. Or an equivalent. It tells you how their brains are changing, what happens and how to deal with it.
It helped me hugely. My house went from a battle zone to relative calm. I've also got my relationship back with my d. The book gave me the reasons why so I became more tolerant and understanding and dealt with it all a lot better.

cleo14 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:06:09

I'm half way through the book and agree, it's amazing- wish I had found it years ago!

ephpa95 Mon 12-Jan-15 19:04:32

feel with you. do try and a good friend you can have candid talks with, just to download and to take a deep breath afterwards. He'll turn out just fine. Eventually.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 12-Jan-15 19:07:03

What book? I suspect I may need it!!

cleo14 Mon 12-Jan-15 22:17:26

2 fab books- get out of my life but first take me and Alex into town and blame my brain, both on amazon around £4 each x

Biscuitsneeded Mon 12-Jan-15 22:19:36

Thanks!

ILoveOnionRings Mon 12-Jan-15 22:45:04

My DS was an absolute nightmare, didn't truant from school (but I bet the teachers wished he did). We had at least 4 years of complete hell but he last summer he turned a corner, it was almost overnight and the change daily was noticeable.

I read posts by MaryZ quite often and she gives a lot of good advice.

At the time you think you are the only parent going through this but as you begin to talk to other parents you realise quite quickly you are not. The support you can give each other is invaluable.

Sorry not to offer any advice but just wanted to give you hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

cleo14 Mon 12-Jan-15 23:05:53

Thank you iloveonionrings, you're right- just to know you're not alone is so important. Lots of great advice on here

mix56 Tue 13-Jan-15 16:27:22

yes, there is light !!! I can vouch for having had the worst case teenagers the devil ever invented, I was actually in Hell for a good time...
I know everything... all I can say is, don't give up, he will emerge.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: