Talk

Advanced search

teen holiday advice

(14 Posts)
oncearedstar Sun 11-Jan-15 09:59:42

I'm unsure wether this would be suited best in travel advice or teenagers so intend on posting in both if that's allowed ?
So my dd who is 17 in a month and her good friend who is 18 have been talking about going on a holiday together in summer before dd friend leaves for uni. They both work part time jobs and are looking/have saved around 800 for the actual holiday. They haven't actually started looking yet due to college work and jobs but dd asked me if its likley they'd get a week European holiday, AI if possible, where is best to look/book and would there be an issue with her being 17 not classed as an adult ? This sounds a bit muddled but any help would be greatly appreciated . Me and dh are use to booking European camping holidays so our knowledge doesn't stretch to holiday resorts whether you do it online or travel agent.

PeaStalks Sun 11-Jan-15 11:02:28

DS went last year with friends to a Party resort hmm. If they can travel after exams but before school holidays it will be cheaper. I suspect AI is not the usual choice for teenagers as you pay a heavy supplement for it and they are likely to want to go out in the evening rather than stay in the hotel watching the mini disco.
All the main tour operators will have suitable choices. DS's group waited until the youngest was 18 but there is no reason why they should. This may not matter to your DD but we stayed as a family in an AI in Cyprus when DS1 was 17 and they would not serve him alcohol.

oncearedstar Sun 11-Jan-15 11:15:33

Dd and friend arent looking for night life and are don't seem to want part life/alcohol what they want the hotel to have is a gym or footpath to run and pool they are quite sporty people so just want a pool/ beach relaxing location

oncearedstar Sun 11-Jan-15 11:21:17

They were thinking end of august, but still unsure, a lot to think about first, what do you mean by heavy supplement ( i've never done ai or last hotel holiday was 20 years ago ? )

PeaStalks Sun 11-Jan-15 11:32:25

What I mean is that AI is not necessarily a cheap option. They offer unlimited food and drink and so charge accordingly. It has suited us when we had teenage DSs who are permanently hungry but if it were just for me I would go B&B or S/C.
If they like sports though, a big resort type hotel might suit them. The hotel I mentioned above was perfect for DSs. Good gym, on the beach, lots of sports and activities going but not in a resort.
A budget of £800 would not be enough for a quality AI hotel in August I suspect.

42bunnytails Sun 11-Jan-15 11:39:38

AI is great if you just want to sit by the pool with preteens/young teens.

People with ravenous teen boys say it works really well because lots of places include pool snacks as well as drinks.

But if you want to get out and about it doesn't really make sense because your not there to make the most of it.

As the poster above says, hotel entertainment is naff, we tend to go for a wander down the sea front or hire bikes instead.

Best tip is to find a supermarket away from the sea front and buy water, coke (booze) and snacks at non cafe prices. Then you can munch those on the beach or on the balcony or when out and about.

oncearedstar Sun 11-Jan-15 12:37:34

Thanks for advice they are unsure where and other friends said go ai bu they are not big eaters. What options would you choose/recomens half board/self accommodation and any price ideas they said anything above 1000 each means they can't go/don't want to go as it means working a few weekdays during exam period overtime

PeaStalks Sun 11-Jan-15 12:49:52

I think S/C is a good option as they can eat out very cheaply in most places.
They need to narrow down where they want to go Balearics/Canaries/Greece whatever and then look for hotel / apartment complexes that have a good location and a gym if they want that. Then look on tripadviser.

One thing DS and his friends forgot to check was the flights/airports. I narrowly stopped them from booking a middle of the night flight from Gatwick because it was cheaper. They hadn't considered the fact that Gatwick is a very very long way from where we live and they would have to get there. They eventually picked a regional airport where we could give them a lift.

oncearedstar Sun 11-Jan-15 13:01:10

If they book s/c does that mean you book flights separately or can it still be done in a package deal ie all at once

titchy Sun 11-Jan-15 13:48:53

If they book on Expedia or similar they can pick their flights and hotel and book them both together as a package giving them probably more flexibility than booking a package holiday. Don't forget they'll also need to book transfers though!

Theas18 Sun 11-Jan-15 13:51:22

Also suggest the 18yr old does the booking - 17yr may well be an issue.

PeaStalks Sun 11-Jan-15 13:52:25

Packages can be for anything, just go on to a tour operator website and play around.
I've just booked 10 days in a villa on a complex with Jet2 or look at the bigger Thomas Cook et al.

PeaStalks Sun 11-Jan-15 13:54:33

I wouldn't advise booking separately if you are so unused to booking holidays /travel. You can lose the protection that comes with a package and it is not necessarily cheaper. Don't forget insurance as well.

oncearedstar Sun 11-Jan-15 14:22:08

Thanks so much for all tips I'm totally clueless will show dd this thread later and see what her and df wants to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now