Talk

Advanced search

Good Lord, I bloody well hate having a teenager *quite* a lot of the time...

(30 Posts)
misspollysdollyridesagain Wed 31-Dec-14 20:56:25

...That is all, really...

Am I alone?? blush

lljkk Wed 31-Dec-14 21:15:56

<<Pulling up a chair>>
What things about the teen are driving you batty (abbreviated version)?

Sparklingbrook Wed 31-Dec-14 21:16:32

I just find it's all a bit unpredictable.

headlesslambrini Wed 31-Dec-14 21:25:32

I love my teens, although I am a little pissed so this may have to be taken into account. grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 31-Dec-14 21:29:20

Oh I love mine sooo much but they are just like big toddlers sometimes. I find myself adopting the same ignoring strategy as 13 years ago....

MrsPnut Wed 31-Dec-14 21:56:28

My nearly 18 year old has been home for just over a week. I drove away from the train station tonight with glee as I dropped her off.

Highlights of the week have included tears, tantrums and waking the entire house up at 6am in Christmas Day and then sulking that we had to walk the dog before opening presents. We opened them at about 8:30, according to her this was cruel and worthy of calling Childline.

Sparklingbrook Wed 31-Dec-14 22:01:43

We had to live through the Christmas Playstation Outage thing. It was gruelling.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Wed 31-Dec-14 22:02:41

my girls are great right now, they want to stay up to celebrate NY, they will be lovely - (12 and 14 - so young but hormonal!!) They will be Hell tomorrow - tired and visiting gran for a big roast lunch. Enforced "goodness" at grans will be followed by grumblechops kids all evening.

Some things are predictable... unfortunately.

SanityClause Wed 31-Dec-14 22:06:40

I love my teens. I love seeing their personalities and tastes develop. And you can have an interesting conversation with them, and learn new things.

They have their moments, obviously.

smileyforest Wed 31-Dec-14 22:23:13

Ditto OP...during the holidays especially!! 18 and 16y old boys!

circular Thu 01-Jan-15 01:18:36

Love mine too. But DD1 (17) still out at NYE party, and DD2 (12) just crashed out on the sofa.
Maybe wont be saying same tomorrow (or later today) after waiting up for DD1 who has forgot her keys, and having a very grouchy DD2 not having kept properly.

circular Thu 01-Jan-15 01:19:51

Slept NOT kept

singaporefling Thu 01-Jan-15 02:17:56

LOVE mine....of course... 3 x DC's / 2 x SDC's now aged from 16 - 30.... ALL been 'challenging' teens at one time or another in various tearing-our-hair-out/lots-of-sleepless-nights ways... we've been through lots of ups and downs with them, trying to guide them as best we could - often with total lack of co-operation/understanding on their part - I mean, what do we know fgs?! BUT however frustrating/knackering/trying/infuriating their 'situations/problems' have been - it's all worth it and it gets better < too much wine and New Year sentimentality probably > grin

SecretSquirrels Thu 01-Jan-15 10:39:44

Nope. I absolutely adore my teens. 16 and 18 year old boys.

Ohwhatfuckeryitistoride Thu 01-Jan-15 10:52:05

Mine is quite lovely, but in the throes of "lurve". It's having "the talk" (she's 16) and being told she has thought about all that and won't be rushing in to anything. (Gulp)

febel Thu 01-Jan-15 14:23:55

Well, I am stone cold sober and yes, I too hate having a teenager some of the time...sorry to all of you parent praising yours...well done you...but your teenagers must be different to my YD. I WORK with teenagers professionally and love working with them but my own YD teenager (16) I find very challengin at times....she is VERY rude, pushes boundaries, is disrespectful and causes a lot of upset as se can be liable to fly off the handle very easily and stirs it amongst her siblings. BUT hopefully...when she is NOT a teenager anymore she will be easier. We still get the flashes of who she used to be but I think teenage hormones, anxiety, life today etc all have contributed to make her at times a very difficult person to live with. Sorry, but it's true...and I have read and try to practise every parenting technique known....but my YD teenager still has the power to hurt me immensely when they "have it on them", and indeed to even scare me at times. I love her but not her behaviour......

They do get better. Our 17 and 19 year olds are really quite pleasant nowadays (apart from 17 year old's room, which is likely to never be pleasant).

smileyforest Thu 01-Jan-15 20:59:42

Febel...you said it well....I of course love my boys...NOT their behaviour at times which has caused stress and anxiety...I have two older adult children...they remind me how they were as teens....(differently to the teens I have now)....and remind me ...they will be 'OK'...and yes ...they do and have done lovely things and I see the 'real' boys...does not stop me feeling...I dont like them sometimes.....

bowbear Thu 01-Jan-15 21:44:13

Couldn't agree more, I love my DD with all my heart but her behaviour has been a nightmare and caused me so much heartache this last year. I just keep telling myself we'll get through this, hopefully with spirit intact!

Rootandbranch Thu 01-Jan-15 23:31:23

Mine is so utterly awful I'm struggling a bit right now. Entitled, grasping, mean spirited, doggedly unhelpful and selfish...

She's like a comedy teenager.

Except I'm not laughing. sad

Her catchphrases:
"I could always be a drug dealer - they make great money!"
"MUUUUMMMM" (bellowed)
"Can you tidy my room for me?"
"In a minute!" not until hell freezes over
"Can I have some money for a kebab?"
"My teachers are shit"

ArabellaRockerfella Fri 02-Jan-15 00:23:51

I too hate having teenagers! DDs 17 & 14 (& 9yr old)
Give me a toddler any day! The naughty step doesn't quite cut it now!
I'd quite like to send them away for a few years and have delightful young adults delivered back to me at a later date! grin

bluecheque4595 Fri 02-Jan-15 00:30:36

My ds 14 just decided cos he was "angry" he had to post his political opinions all over my friends pictures on Facebook. We tried to delete the posts but he has been blocked. Argh. facepalm. Need him to learn to keep his arsey opinions to himself!!

Going from two to three teenagers this year as dd about to turn 13. Eek.

nooka Fri 02-Jan-15 00:43:50

My 14 and 15 year olds are mostly delightful. I put this mostly down to our non-UK stress free life. ds can be an argumentative arse and dd gets very anxious from time to time, but really they are pretty easy. They go to a non uniform school where they are assessed with few exams and little homework and just seem to have a much easier life than their UK based cousins.

I am very glad I agreed with dh's emigration plan (although I thought he was nuts). It seems to me that it's hard enough going through puberty/growing up without all the rules and stress that schools seem to introduce and I wonder whether it actually achieves anything very useful.

Still we've a few years to go and it could all change very easily.

MyballsareSandy Fri 02-Jan-15 12:09:39

Mixture here. 13 year old DDs (nearly 14). Have generally enjoyed having them around and find them great company on occasions, they're actually very funny, great sense of humour. BUT ..... I'm stunned how quickly they can go from larking around and being lovely to complete sarky eye rolling hideousness. It's like a switch being flicked and I find it very hard to get my head around.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Fri 02-Jan-15 17:23:33

We are having a bit of a long nice patch - so I'm girding myself waiting for the storm to break.

Went to town today - to do their post Christmas clothes/crap shopping, and go to the bank, get some stuff I wanted and they did not complain ONCE despite being out for 3 hours. totally unheard of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now