Talk

Advanced search

First proper bra, where to buy?

(11 Posts)
marne2 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:52:14

Not really teen ( mire pre teen), dd1 is 11 in a couple weeks, she has been wearing crop tops for a year but is growing fast so will be heading a bra. She is quite slim and small for her age ( apart from her boobs which are growing fast ). Where's the best place to buy her first proper bra? Also she has dyspraxia and Aspergers, she is likely to struggle with doing it up? Would a sports type bra be better?

Dancergirl Mon 29-Dec-14 23:12:50

I got my oldest Dd's first bras from M and S. Their fitting is rubbish though, I just got her some different sizes to try. John lewis also do a selection of non wired bras.

My middle dd is also dyspraxic and will need a bra soon. I was also wondering about the whole doing up thing, she stuggles with tying bows and other things so no idea how she will manage. Sorry, maybe someone will be along with some tips!

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 29-Dec-14 23:14:29

The fitting & range of sizes is much much better at John Lewis than M & S.

Never ever let M & S measure a teen!

marne2 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:00:23

We don't have a John Lewis near by sad. She can't even tie her own hair back so I'm not sure if she will be able to fasten a bra, we shall have to practice.

AuntieStella Tue 30-Dec-14 09:03:20

Have you measured her?

It's quite difficult to find a bra, even a teen bra, in less than a 28 (and you do want the band measurement to be her actual measurement). Debenhams usually have a better range than JL, including one that is a kind of cross between a crop top and a sports bra (it sounds as if that might be a useful next step for your DD).

AuntieStella Tue 30-Dec-14 09:05:34

I was thinking of these and there is are similar ones by Pineapple.

marne2 Tue 30-Dec-14 10:02:07

They look perfect , I wear a similar kind of thing as they are very comfy.

marne2 Tue 30-Dec-14 10:02:25

Any tips on measuring her?

piggychops Tue 30-Dec-14 10:08:54

If you post this in Style and Beauty the lovely bra ladies will sort you out.

mrspottasbubble Tue 30-Dec-14 14:41:31

We went to New Look with a rough size idea and then picked up umpteen from the teen section and she tried them all on.Happy girl and she did not feel so bad as she would have going to Marks.

ZebraGiraffe Sat 03-Jan-15 23:43:25

Don't know if your DD is into Jack Wills, it is pricey but they have some in the sale at the moment which look good for preteens www.jackwills.com/en-gb/product/aldburgh-bralet-10000597201

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now