Talk

Advanced search

Teenage boys and space

(10 Posts)
minimoo72 Sat 27-Dec-14 22:18:17

Hi quick thought how much free space to give your son of nearly 16
I le my boy have quite a lot of freedom ie stay out late or last minute decision crash at mates. Does this make me a bad mum

Sparklingbrook Sat 27-Dec-14 22:22:07

Not sure what you are asking TBH.

ssd Sat 27-Dec-14 22:40:09

what do you mean op?

SueDunome Sat 27-Dec-14 23:10:13

It depends how trustworthy you think he is but, at 16, he's nearly an adult.

ds is fairly independent - takes a train to nearest large town to take his girlfriend out for a meal on an evening, etc. He goes to occasional parties, bit not really a regular. He went to Glastonbury with his friends and survived and, as far as I know, acted responsibly.

chocoluvva Sun 28-Dec-14 00:14:57

From the age of about 14 I try to give them as much freedom as possible (safe). If they want to do something and I don't like the thought of it I try to find a compromise or question what it is I don't like.

IME teenagers who have very strict parents are more likely to go mad when they leave home.

cleo14 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:29:46

I agree with chocoluvva post above

bigTillyMint Mon 05-Jan-15 10:38:33

What Chocoluvva said.

mamawitch Sat 10-Jan-15 13:27:44

My eldest DS is 16 he was out at a party last night and text me to say he was staying at his friends there are 2 girls 2 boys in their little friendship group I know they are all good kids yeah they drank alcohol but they were very responsible and I agree that if you feel they are trust worthy you should let them off the reigns a little

CalicoBlue Sat 10-Jan-15 13:52:18

I give my Ds 17 a lot of freedom. He does not have a time to be home by, can stay at friends and stays at his gf house too. Because he has so much freedom he does not go out very much. As I am happy for his friends to come here, they do rather than go out.

As Choccoluvva says, they need to learn how to handle freedom and make choices.

LynetteScavo Sat 10-Jan-15 13:58:57

It depends where they are, which mates they are staying with.

If it was one of DSs best friends I'd be totally happy with him staying over if it wasn't a school night.

If he was staying out late at a friends house, or a party I wouldn't have a problem if I knew where he was and what time he was coming home.

He went to Glastonbury with his friends and survived and, as far as I know, acted responsibly - Of course he didn't - but he came home in one piece, which is what matters. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now