Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone's teenager use a mooncup (or similar)?

(24 Posts)
exexpat Sat 27-Dec-14 14:19:41

DD (12) has expressed an interest in trying a mooncup or something along those lines - apparently there is a youtuber who is very enthusiastic about them hmm (everything she knows seems to come from youtube or instagram these days) - I just wondered if anyone else's younger teen/preteen had tried one and how they got on with it? Any recommendations?

DD's been having periods for over a year, has tried tampons, and is generally pretty open and comfortable talking through all that stuff with me, so I am happy for her to try it, though I suspect she may be a bit young. I've never used one so can't really offer advice.

fluffling Sun 28-Dec-14 01:44:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spinduchess Sun 28-Dec-14 01:46:40

If you're old enough to have periods, you are old enough for a moon cup!

Give it a go. If you don't try, you don't find out.

circular Sun 28-Dec-14 08:55:02

DD1 (now 17) read up and bought one when she was 14. Couldn't get the hang of it though, and gave up.
Think the main attraction at the time was more discreet disposal in school loos when bins in communal area, rather than individual cubicles.
They can be a bit messy to empty, and easy to spill, so need plenty paper to hand. Can't really clean them easily in public loo cubicles, so a quick wipe may have to suffice until able to wash out properly at home.

jolaylasofia Sun 28-Dec-14 08:56:35

I don't think I would be happy with a child using anything that's inserted to be quite honest

spinduchess Sun 28-Dec-14 11:35:32

joylay Its not your vagina! How can you possibly tell another human being what they can and can't put in their vagina?

CalicoBlue Sun 28-Dec-14 18:59:24

There is a nack to the mooncup. If she is comfortable to use it then it is a much healthier option to tampons.

Just tell her to practice and it will get easier.

Micah Sun 28-Dec-14 19:08:08

Joylay does that go for tampons too? Why not, out of interest?

As to the mooncup, there's no harm in getting her one and letting her try. I'd warn it can take a lot of getting used to, and a lot of trial and error finding the right position etc so it doesn't leak. I'd say it took me a good 6 months perseverance before it was easier than tampons.

Why do you suspect she may be a bit young? I'd have loved one as a teen, no remembering tampons or having to carry them round, and a mooncup doesn't need changing as often.

Mrsmorton Sun 28-Dec-14 19:17:49

joylay so you won't let DD use tampons?
If my mother made that decision for me I would detest her even more than I do now. IMO, towels are dirty and smelly, difficult to conceal and unpleasant to wear. That's my opinion, surely your daughter is entitled to her own opinion?

Towel wearers of MN, don't flame me, just how I feel after having worn them post surgery for months. I understand it's each to their own. Regardless of age joylay. What's your aversion to a young woman being comfortable with her own anatomy?

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 28-Dec-14 19:22:36

I imagine people are cautious because of the toxic shock risk.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 28-Dec-14 19:25:00

I started using one when I was 17 and I found it really quite painful at first. I had to fold it very very small or it stung too much. (I hadn't had sex when I used it, although had used tampons).

That said, I persevered and it was fantastic (I particularly wanted it for dancing). It's easier on days when your period's a bit heavier. I suppose you could use lube, but I would have been embarrassed. Warm water can help a bit though.

Knottyknitter Sun 28-Dec-14 19:34:58

Home, there is a much lower risk of TSS with mooncup as not absorbent like tampons. That's why you often don't need to change it more than twice a day (only more if full) so she may not need to do anything with it at school most days.

It was the ultra absorbent tampons that were the big problem with TSS in the 80s-90s.

Micah Sun 28-Dec-14 19:35:07

Homeis, when I last checked there's been no reported cases of tss associated with mooncups. It's thought to be unlikely too because they're not absorbent so don't provide a surface for bacterial growth.

HSMMaCM Sun 28-Dec-14 19:35:54

I have one to my DD. She hadn't used it yet, but I know she's talen IT out of the packet. I've sent her the link to their website. She has towels, tampons and a mooncup and she can choose what she uses (mostly mixture of tampons and towels). Age 15

HSMMaCM Sun 28-Dec-14 19:36:13

Given one that should say

HSMMaCM Sun 28-Dec-14 19:37:23

And I didn't write it in capitals . My phone has edited my words!!!

Cherriesandapples Sun 28-Dec-14 19:42:55

They are excellent and if they had been around when I was 13 I would have used them. I use one and on day one, would need to empty mid day but day two can wear from 9-6pm! Doesn't give me thrush like tampons, needs mild soap and a rinse to clean. Very hygienic and no landfill etc to pollute the world!

avocadotoast Sun 28-Dec-14 19:43:19

I started using a Mooncup when I was 19, and I was sexually active and had been having periods for a few years, but I took to it straight away. I know people that haven't got on with them though.

I like it so much because I hate the plasticky feeling of disposable pads and I also hate how drying tampons are (plus I think they're really uncomfortable).

OP, I'd get your daughter a Mooncup and see how she gets on. Maybe could also be worth looking into cloth pads if she's wanting something reusable? I have a couple of those for on a night and they're great, really soft. They are a little bulky though so I have sometimes felt a little self conscious wearing them through the day.

avocadotoast Sun 28-Dec-14 19:45:55

(Re cloth pads - mine are from here: www.honouryourflow.co.uk/. The website is very hippy, but the pads are very good. I have a bamboo one for night and it does feel a bit like a nappy <ahem> but it's so soft!)

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 28-Dec-14 19:46:53

Sorry I meant people might be worried about letting their daughters use tampons for that reason (toxic shock).

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 28-Dec-14 19:55:44

Sorry I meant people might be worried about letting their daughters use tampons for that reason (toxic shock).

Ollypuss4 Tue 30-Dec-14 00:15:40

I'm currently 14 and have used a mooncup for just over a year. Just like you my mum was hesitant at first about buying one for me as she'd never seen them before and the mooncup was a considered purchase as it was around £20. The mooncup itself is great because it can stay In for max 12hrs and holds 3 times as much as a super tampon. The mooncup though can be difficult at first as the stem needs trimming and it's a strong cup which could feel weird inside.

Personally I would recommend going onto femininewear.com it sells a wide range of menstrual cup and some are considerably cheaper. One I would recommend is the fleurcup. It's around £8 and is one of the cups I've ever used; it's soft, flexible and available in purple and red!! I would also recommend the meluna small in classic firmness. These are around £11 and have lots of colour and stem options. They are designed for first time cup users and because of the colours the don't stain whereas the mooncup becomes stained brown after a 10-11 uses!

I hoped this helped! Sorry it's so long

exexpat Tue 30-Dec-14 12:00:44

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. We were in Boots and spotted some mooncups so I have bought her one, and we will see how it goes. If that one isn't quite right for her, but she's still keen, we might try one of the others Ollypuss recommends.

iwantgin Tue 30-Dec-14 18:10:07

I love my mooncup - and wish they had been around when I was younger!

Maybe the softer cups might be easier for her to manage - easier to insert. She may be able to get away with not emptying it whilst at school anyway. my periods are moderate - and if I empty and rinse in the morning- I can quite confidently leave it until late afternoon/early evening to check again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now