Talk

Advanced search

Worried about dd

(13 Posts)
Tinofroses Fri 26-Dec-14 21:31:32

Dd is nearly 14. She can be moodily and hormonal but generally is in good form. She had worked so hard at school this term and I mean really worked hard. She was exhausted coming up to end of term. She has been sleeping loads this christmas and I find it hard to wake her. She was dozing earlier and I sent hr to bed and went up to chat her. She started crying which is something she never does. I quizzed her about being bullied or online rows but she swears not. She said she was scared but couldn't say what of. I'm worried about all the sleeping over last couple of days . I made her come back down to the room cos I don't want her on her own and she's asleep in the bean bag now. Is it just normal hormonal behaviour for teenage girls . It's my first time coping with this .

cleo14 Sat 27-Dec-14 01:11:07

My ds is 14 and a half and I have noticed a huge difference in how much sleep he appears to be needing now- however I've also noticed a huge change in his physical build. I'd definitely say it's all down to hormones- a really difficult age for most teenagers. Sorry I can't offer you anything else but you're in good company for support on this forum.x

Feellikescrooge Sat 27-Dec-14 03:17:47

Check it is not depression. Life is difficult as a teenager but depression is often undiagnosed and symptoms blamed on hormones. I would suggest a visit to the GP. But keep a diary of her sleeping etc until you go. It may well be her age but it would be worth checking all options. Depression is much easier to sort if you nip it in the bud. Otherwise the 'black dog' can haunt lives. When my DH died I put my DDs similar behaviour down to grief, it was only a suicide attempt that forced us both to accept she was depressed. Now after treatment and being on ADs she is a happy uni student.

Tinofroses Sat 27-Dec-14 08:44:04

Thanks for the replies. I was actually worried about depression. She had had a really good rest last night and seems in better form today. Weather permitting we are going for a cycle and a hot choc somewhere. Luckily I'm off work now for a few days so can keep a closer eye. She eats a good diet but I have noticed she is eating a little less so may watch that also. I don't have many to talk about it in real life as my friends can be a bit judges . Some work friends are good but won't see them plus I don't like discussing her behind her back . It's different on here.

anthropology Sat 27-Dec-14 10:29:58

maybe start with GP for blood tests etc . You dont have to worry her as it could also be something physical. At this stage it could be anything, but its worth paying attention to as you are, even if others say dont bother. As a parent of a teen who has batled severe depression,undiagnosed for too long, if it is, the earlier you can get support and help the better. best of luck.

norightanswer Sat 27-Dec-14 11:12:32

It will be good for you to have a few days off work too. My DD is 14 and was really exhausted by the end of term. There is so much going on in their lives and so many changes to them physically that sometimes I think they need to just crash out every so often. My DD has often said that she is scared as there are so many changes and decisions to make and it is hard growing up. Hope you enjoy your bike ride.....its often on bike rides and car journeys that you actually get to talk properly to your kids. Good luck.

Tinofroses Sat 27-Dec-14 11:31:59

Ah thanks for support. She has asked to go shopping today aswell so I'm going to brave the crowds. I don't mind as it keeps her out and about and she won't get to doze on couch so will get another good night sleep tonight. She has eaten a good breakfast too , maybe the cry did her good last night

CatCushion Sat 27-Dec-14 12:19:00

Something to just check if you have a wood burning stove, gas boiler etc, is carbon monoxide levels. Pets and children can be the first to show symptoms.

Dragonfly71 Mon 29-Dec-14 13:17:46

Just want to pick up on the scared comment, I think I would be a little worried about that. At 14 she could be being pressured by friends/ boyfriend to grow up too quick. Hopefully this isn't the case but maybe make sure you know who her friends are and what they're up to. Talk to her about staying safe and not being afraid to say no. Could be on the completely wrong track here but just reassurie her she can talk to you about anything and it will never change how much you love her.

chocoluvva Mon 29-Dec-14 13:43:59

Also, if you haven't already, get a good quality vitamin and mineral supplement for women of child-bearing age eg, higher nature, solgar, viridian or pukka. If she gets PMT that should sort it out.

Your poor DD - hope she continues to feel better.

Spinaroo Mon 29-Dec-14 13:47:42

Does she cover herself up? Check for small cuts/scars as self harm is becoming increasingly common in young people.

Spinaroo Mon 29-Dec-14 13:51:19

Ps - my 14 year old can cry at the drop of a hat and had a particularly tricky year last year but seems to have turned a corner. I think the crying is sometimes a release- she couldn't tell me what she was worried about either, in that I don't think she could actually verbalise it - and that lack of comprehension/control over emotions can be scary in itself.

Tinofroses Mon 29-Dec-14 15:27:10

Thanks everyone. Thankfully she has been ok since . We have gone out everyday walking or biking , lunch and shopping. She is going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting up around 10.
She wears short sleeves around the house so not harming . She has no boyfriend . I know some of her friends. She is waiting here for her cousin to call over now for a film, I am glad to have another few days keeping am eye on her though, as I was really scared by her. Have get eating 3 meals a day at the moment as her sleeping and eating pattern were a bit over the place. Could do with a snooze now myself as all this fresh air and worrying is getting to me. Thanks for replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now