Talk

Advanced search

Dd - facial hair - please help!

(10 Posts)
Kitty909 Mon 08-Dec-14 14:49:21

Ok, so she's not a teen yet, she's 12, but I reckon this is a better place for this post.
Dd has a bit of a moustache which she seems not to be worried about. I think it has got more noticeable over the past year, and feel it's something that will need addressed in the near future, especially knowing how cruel school mates can be. Unfortunately she seems to have inherited my husbands dark hair, we already plucky her eyebrows so I guess this is the next challenge....
I know the options of wax, bleach, laser (not really an option due to her age) but would like feedback from anyone who's been there and done it. I'm just terrified of making things worse, especially as she has sensitive skin too.
I have also googled an option which uses turmeric/water mixed into a paste, applied, and rubbed off. Sound great, but again, anyone out there tried this??
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kitty

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Mon 08-Dec-14 18:08:16

why not take her to a beauty therapist for a consult? They can do a patch test with the wax or bleach to see if she reacts. Personally I get my brows and top lip threaded. It's cheaper and doesn't irritate my dry sensitive skin. Threading on the top lip does bring a tear to my eye occasionally and your dd might find it too painful.

Kundry Mon 08-Dec-14 18:14:47

Laser only works if the hair is dark and your skin is pale. It's OK pain wise on the skin. If you were just looking for upper lip then costs can be manageable but if it's other areas the costs soon rack up. It isn't permanent and won't get rid of all the dark hair. I've had a lot of laser on my chin - it reduced it massively but I got fed up of needing top ups and so have moved on to electrolysis (which is where I started 20 years ago!)

Electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal option. It hurts a lot more than laser but is much cheaper. However to permanently get rid you will still need treatments every time the hair grows back until it gives up - could be a long time.

christmaspies Mon 08-Dec-14 18:22:51

Electroloysis is the only certain way. I had it done on my tache about 25 years ago (3 visits to the beauty salon) and it's only just starting to grow back

crazykat Mon 08-Dec-14 18:24:16

My friend is a beauty therapist and always says waxing/tweezing/threading is better than bleaching as it gets rid of the hair whereas with bleaching the hair is still there and can be seen in some lights/angles.

I have a few light hairs in my top lip and have always just used tweezers as there's only a little bit but if there's a lot then waxing would be quicker. The top lip is more sensitive than eyebrows but you do get used to it over time so it's not as bad.

Heyho111 Mon 08-Dec-14 19:17:55

I would wax. The hair is still there with bleach. Tweezing prolongs the pain. Hair removal creams has the same effect as shaving. Waxing is over and done with before it begins. The hair takes weeks to come back and sometimes comes back a little thinner. My D had her underarms and legs waxed at 12. It saved it getting strong from shaving. She's reaping the benefits 6 yrs on.

Kitty909 Mon 08-Dec-14 22:59:08

Thanks folks, will ask a therapist and see what they recommend - electrolysis and laser may not be an option because of dd's age.
She has never mentioned it to me, so broaching the subject may be a bit delicate - but I think it is something she is aware of, cos she was the one who wanted to deal with her unibrow!

kleinzeit Tue 09-Dec-14 16:55:25

Be careful with turmeric – it’s a very powerful yellow colouring/staining agent. I don’t know how strongly it affects skin and a quick google suggests that Asian women do use turmeric in beauty treatments, but if your DD might get teased about a dark moustache I can’t imagine the reaction she’ll get from a bright yellow upper lip!

Unfortunately she seems to have inherited my husbands dark hair,

That troubles me, I can’t quite put my finger on why. Perhaps because as a dark-haired person myself I don’t like to think of my colouring as unfortunate? And I can’t imagine that it would do your DD’s self-image any good to know you felt that way about her. But perhaps you don’ t mean that the way it came across? Just take extra care how you say things to your DD, I guess.

What do the other women in your husband’s family do about facial hair? Presumably they are dark too?

Kitty909 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:25:07

Kleinzeit, I'm sorry if I have offended you, certainly not intending to annoy dark haired people in any way! What I mean is she has a dark upper lip, but light brown hair; my son who is almost 18, has hardly more than a fine down on his soft little cheeks.... My DH's two sisters are rather fair in comparison, so I can't geT much help there.
I am also a bit worried about trying turmeric... I was hoping someone on the forum might have tried it to give me a little feedback. Anyone...?

cantmakecarrotcake Tue 09-Dec-14 21:44:06

I used facial hair bleach at about 12yo (and still do). Boots own is great. It's easy enough she'll eventually be able to do it herself in private if she prefers. Not sure I'd have been keen on a salon and a wax at her age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now