Talk

Advanced search

Don't get a boyfriend

(7 Posts)
MeRichard Sat 06-Dec-14 04:11:26

This is my first post and I am a dad. Got that out of the way!

My teenage DD was saying last night how unreasonable men are being when they give the advice "don't get yourself a boyfriend". It turns out that many men have proffered this including, for example, the managing director of the business she did her last work experience with and a mourner at my father's funeral. I should add that DD gets a lot of attention from males of all ages.

I have never heard of this advice being offered before. I wondered if it is common? It sounds somewhere between very odd and really creepy to me. Any thoughts?

Fiftyplusmum Sat 06-Dec-14 21:52:10

I haven't come across this before. Perhaps encourage her to talk to women more.

MeRichard Sun 07-Dec-14 07:43:57

It is wierd isn't it Fiftyplus?

DD is outwardly confident and one of those people who happily talk to lots of others - and more women than men. The number of people she knows in our town alone is rather incredible to me. Thanks for the thought though.

YourKidsYourRulesHunXxx Sun 07-Dec-14 07:48:40

Maybe they mean it in a fatherly way- they respect your daughter and don't want her to be pissed about by some dickhead

Not the most appropriate thing to be saying to somebody though- it's really none of their business.

plumquilt Sun 07-Dec-14 07:55:23

I had this a lot as a teen, I was a very sparky bright thing but had potential to go off the rails. I had a few older male friends ( through friend's brother) who I'm fairly sure fancied me, but they were quite left wing cool guys who got more of a buzz from seeing me (this gobby extremely clever working class kid) do well, than from potentially exploiting me.

I had it from two male teachers too (without the lust bit obviously), I always felt incredibly spurred on by them, like I could conquer the world. And they were right.

I had a slight waste of space boyfriend for a while at 18/19 and cleanly and swiftly dumped him, knowing that I was perfectly fabulous and capable on my own. Maybe it's not a bad thing?

HesNotAMessiah Mon 08-Dec-14 13:33:25

I'm not sure whether this is the right advice or just right advice at a certain age.

Maybe all these people see the potential in your daughter and don't want to see her pushing a baby around instead of lighting up the world.

Not saying young mums can't do this, it's just harder.

chocoluvva Wed 10-Dec-14 10:48:09

Well IMO it's a ridiculous comment. Would they tell a teenage boy not to get a girlfriend? Ignore and/or laugh off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now