Talk

Advanced search

My ds just left me speechless.,,

(27 Posts)
MilkThistle187 Tue 02-Dec-14 17:36:29

He just left the house wearing a coat shock He is 16

He hasn't worn one for years, in fact I didn't bother buying one last year. Wonders will never cease!

Just two years to wait until ds2 wears one (although he does wear a fur lined hoody)

Twitterqueen Tue 02-Dec-14 17:39:17

Don't worry. it won't last. Give him around 18 months (max) and it will be off again.
he'll be a budding student by then.

I always wonder why the shops in Newcastle upon Tyne bother stocking coats and jackets at all. Never, never are they seen on young people even in the deepest coldest midwinter

Merrylegs Tue 02-Dec-14 17:42:22

Ha, DS (17) has actually asked for a coat for Christmas this year! What do you think is happening to the world?

Ds3 (17) has spent his own hard-earned cash on a coat, and is wearing it every day!

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Tue 02-Dec-14 17:45:32

DD is 16. She is wearing a coat this winter.

shock

ILoveOnionRings Tue 02-Dec-14 17:47:40

DS (19) bought a coat last month with his birthday money 'North Face you know Mom, good quality this is!!'' and I can also confirm he is wearing it everyday to.

Hoolit Tue 02-Dec-14 17:53:50

How strange! My ds13 has also asked for a coat a parker type thing to be precise something only 6 months ago he wouldn't have been seen dead in, we too are in Newcastle ....what is going on??

Behoove Tue 02-Dec-14 17:56:16

shock
My ds16 bought a wooly bobble hat with a giant pom pom. So cute (although I could never tell him so)

crje Tue 02-Dec-14 17:56:24

He will probably arrive home without it.

grin

Sparklingbrook Tue 02-Dec-14 18:06:00

Picture or it never happened.

MaryWestmacott Tue 02-Dec-14 18:12:01

Now, I am very old and out of touch, but I believe mens coats are having a fashion 'moment'. Therefore they will be out of fashion by next season, so don't get your hopes up about it lasting....

OwlCapone Tue 02-Dec-14 18:15:41

My teen DSs wear a coat every day in autumn/winter.

circular Tue 02-Dec-14 18:16:10

DD1 17 only stopped wearing a coat in yr9 and 10, then restarted when she realised she felt the cold. Most of her same age friends, make and female do wear coats in and out if school.

DD2 12 going on 20, stopped wearing one in yr6.

RoundRobinSparkles Tue 02-Dec-14 18:17:54

I don't have teenagers but my three year old will NOT wear her coat. I used to fight and fight to get her coat on. She used to scream and I would get it on her for her to take it off halfway down the road and throw it at me.

I don't even bother anymore. Before we leave the house I'll ask her if she wants her coat on, the answer is usually no. I always take it with me. If it's very cold and she's cold (rarely) she'll put it on. Maybe she'll wear one when she's 16!

soaccidentprone Tue 02-Dec-14 18:20:39

Ds1 and ds2 wear coats and always have.

One is late teen and the other is early teen.

Did I do something wrong.

alpacasosoft Tue 02-Dec-14 18:21:39

Mine wears thermals and a coat
<wins thread> grin

Behoove Tue 02-Dec-14 19:55:27

Not at all soaccidentprone I'm sure you're just a better parent than the rest of us

LineRunner Tue 02-Dec-14 19:58:23

I can't remember the last time I saw a coat being worn in Newcastle toon by anyone under 50.

Maybe it was Jimmy Nail with his big overcoat on back in the day.

PureMorning Tue 02-Dec-14 19:59:01

12yr old ds Nd his mates wear thick ski gloves,woolly hat, scarf but no bloody coats!!

Looks like right Muppets

thornrose Tue 02-Dec-14 19:59:21

My dd is 15 and wears a coat buttoned up to her chin at the slightest hint of a chill in the air.

I'm a Northerner, I wouldn't be seen dead in a coat at 15. She is a Southerner born and bred. I'm so ashamed! wink

starburst1979 Tue 02-Dec-14 19:59:52

DS (13) refuses all coats. He rang for a lift home tonight because he was cold. I told him (in my best "mother knows best") voice that he should have put his coat on like I said. He said it wasn't THAT cold....Newcastle also!!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 02-Dec-14 20:02:15

Im in Newcastle too, and have bought my first proper coat since I was 18 - I am 29. I just dont feel the cold all that much, but had a baby recently and knew id be pounding the streets in the pushchair so felt compelled to buy something properly warm.

What is with all the geordie MNers!

MassaAttack Tue 02-Dec-14 21:37:29

We've finally reached sub zero temperatures, and today Y9 ds wore a school jumper for the first time since last February.

Obviously no coat, however. But then this is positively tropical NW Wilts.

LoveVintage Tue 02-Dec-14 21:46:45

DS(15) to my amazement actually asked for a jacket for his birthday last month. It was not cheap and is a 'designer' label. I was ecstatic though that he would have a jacket for the winter that he would actually wear, so I got him it. It is so paper thin you could spit peas through it and he might as well not be wearing it. And I am sounding like my mother.

Travelledtheworld Wed 03-Dec-14 11:28:04

Dozens of kids walking to secondary school this morning wearing coats and bobble hats with big pom-poms on......I am in the South West and it is very cold here this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now