Pool or Table Tennis Table?

(18 Posts)
RudyMentary Sun 30-Nov-14 11:47:47

Which do you think would get more use?

SecretSquirrels Sun 30-Nov-14 11:55:23

Well we have both. Bought pool table when DS1 and DS2 were 7/9 ish and TT when they were 10/11ish.
Both got a lot of use. I put them up in either the conservatory or dining room as both are large.
Both are foldable so put away in garage for months at a time. Both very popular with visiting friends and good for long dark Christmas holidays as well as the summer.
The disadvantages? Ping pong balls all over the house grin. They get under bookcases and cupboards, my trick is wide sticky tape around the bottom of cupboards and book cases which catches the balls.
Buy the biggest you can fit in a room.

TeenAndTween Sun 30-Nov-14 12:19:49

Pool, because you can play on your own.

if you have a large table in the house then what about one of the pop up table tennis sets decathalon have a great for for about £20 than hooks a net onto any table and comes neatly packed in a little plastic box. then buy a pool table, or what about a pool table that can be converted with a large board over it for table tennis? think they may even sell them that do this. 2 for 1 smile

RudyMentary Sun 30-Nov-14 14:05:21

We have plenty of room and it can be left up permanently. We have a large outbuilding we are renovating.

Thanks for thoughts so far

CarpeJugulum Sun 30-Nov-14 14:17:27

Pool table. You can put a Colin's top over it if you want table tennis, but pool you can play on your own.

CarpeJugulum Sun 30-Nov-14 14:18:09

Colin's? WTF? That should have been plywood!

bigTillyMint Sun 30-Nov-14 15:47:08

Table tennis is good for when there's more than 2 - DH had one and it was great for keeping a group of teen boys occupied Although you might prefer them not to be always round your house!

ChillySundays Sun 30-Nov-14 21:42:02

Pool table here. We are looking to get a top so the DC can play table tennis as well but they wanted a pool table more

3catsandcounting Sun 30-Nov-14 22:38:29

We renovated an outbuilding early this year and DH bought a pool table and a table-tennis table from eBay, as we didn't want to invest too much if DCs didn't use them much! I think we paid £80 for both - bargain, and both great quality and condition! (we did have to collect though!)
Anyway, both have been used well; the TT table stays folded and the pool table's out, as there isn't room for both at the same time (but DS can unfold one side of the table and play on his own, one side flat, the other upright IYSWIM?!
We live out in the sticks but our house has become popular for teen gatherings of late! We've got a table football, table skittles, and a dart board too! grin

RudyMentary Sun 30-Nov-14 23:03:17

grin 3cats

The dartboard and air hockey are already out there. We do have room for both tables but want to keep one end for us DHs turbo trainer and a workout area from me.

I will keep an eye out for any bargains locally.

Thanks all

BackforGood Mon 01-Dec-14 18:52:02

We have a TT table, and our house is very popular for teen gatherings too - so I guess it depends if you see that as a good thing or a bad thing wink

It does need a lot of space though - I underestimated the amount of space you really need at each end when measuring the room.
It does fold up if not using it, and you can play when there's no-one around by just dropping one side and using the other to return the ball.

bigTillyMint Mon 01-Dec-14 18:58:24

envy of all you with teen "dens" with table tennis, pool, darts, etc. Wish we could do that but it's just not possible in a London Victorian terraced house.

RudyMentary Mon 01-Dec-14 21:30:30

You can come round my den anytime BTM grin

bigTillyMint Tue 02-Dec-14 13:37:30

grin

RudyMentary Wed 03-Dec-14 20:49:03

Are you ok Crem?
Btw, if anyone with long false lashes approaches you with some cheap fake tan - don't buy it.

marshiesmagicA04 Thu 19-May-16 21:21:44

We are looking at building a single story extension which will be used as a games room whilst the kids are teenagers, then a garden room in later life. Does anyone have a full sized table tennis table (2.74m by 1.525m) and can advise how much space you need around the table? Our first drawings were 4.35m width (this can't be changed) by 3.7m length but we are concerned that this isn't big enough. Some websites recommend you need1.5 - 2m at each end but this seems excessive??

KatieA4 Sat 21-May-16 18:51:51

As soon as you start playing you will get competitive! and you will need the space at the end. 3.7m is only 500mm each end which will be too short. 1.5m at the end is a minimum. You can get 3/4 size TTTables. You can also get a top that just goes on top of a pool table. What about getting an outdoor table?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now