Talk

Advanced search

Teenage sibling rivalry

(4 Posts)
123motheroflove Thu 27-Nov-14 20:33:38

Ds and dss are constantly arguing over petty stuff and it causes big rows.

Ds is tall and a very popular with girls in his school. Ds recently got asked out by a girl who quite badly humilated dss when dss asked her out. How do you solve problems with sibling rivalry.

SunshineDaisy Thu 27-Nov-14 23:17:12

My two sons are exactly the same. DS1 (17) is very handsome and popular with girls as well whereas DS2 (15) is very popular amongst his friends but has never yet had a girlfriend. However, they don't really argue, they tend to get on well.
We do think though partly because of this, DS2 is very rebellious at school, causes a lot of problems and is generally quite load and obnoxious.
We try to encourage DS2, make him work hard, point out his grades are just as good as his brother, point out his talent on the sports team.
We try to encourage them both, point out both of their good qualities. We point out to DS2 that he's younger and it will all come with time.
Hope this helps a bit

HesNotAMessiah Fri 28-Nov-14 14:56:21

Remind DS what this girl did to DSS and ask him if that's why he wants to go out with her, or if he wants to be next on her lsit for a start?

Other than that, try and show them both that they each have their strong points. They must be different in many ways?

No one achievement or strength is better than the other, its just about making them feel good enough in themselves they don't feel the need to compete.

Heyho111 Fri 28-Nov-14 22:50:04

There's a good book called siblings without rivalry , it's really worth a read.
I hate it when mine bounce off each other. Sometimes it can get quite nasty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now