Talk

Advanced search

Just love being the mother of a teenage boy

(9 Posts)
CalicoBlue Tue 25-Nov-14 19:25:20

My DS 16 just came into the kitchen to tell me that his computer keeps crashing. He has just put a new graphics card and power supply in. I suggested he turn it off and leave it off for a while. I was then shouted at and told that I was a complete retard that knew nothing about computers.

"Well then you will have to go to the computer shop tomorrow" was met with more comments about my level of retardation and stomping back to his bedroom.

He just wanted someone to shout at, so nice that it is always me!

Chandon Tue 25-Nov-14 19:31:17

Bad behaviour! Not ok

Get cross, or just leave him to do his own supper/whatever you normally do for him.

poppymoon Tue 25-Nov-14 20:54:30

smile and nod as 'sympathetically' as you can muster. i don't even rise to the bait when there's a raging bundle of testosterone ranting about something i have no control over.

Celestria Tue 25-Nov-14 20:57:52

He needs to check the wattage of the psu and that of his graphics card. It's not as simple as stick them in and turn them on. If it keeps cutting out I'd suspect his psu isn't powerful enough for the card along with the other components.

Oh and yes bad behaviour. I don't have teens yet.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Tue 25-Nov-14 21:02:06

Not bad behaviour. I've one of those, it's hormones. Horrible one minute, sweetness and light the next.
Agree with him, allow him to rant without being nasty, and agree some more.
Mind you smiling and agreeing too much can tip them over the edge. grin

CalicoBlue Tue 25-Nov-14 21:05:00

Yes, no point getting cross. Bigger battles to fight. Just think it is funny now.

He has had a 800 wat Power supply fitted, he thought that would be enough for his card.

ProbablyMe Tue 25-Nov-14 21:05:46

You have my sympathy. I have three teenage sons - 17, 15, and 14 - and an 11 year old and I'm at the end of my tether this evening. I think I can see why most wild species kick their juvenile males out as soon as possible!

Travelledtheworld Tue 25-Nov-14 23:47:26

probably LoL
We keep them cooped up inside watching screens and they should be out in the wild hunting and fighting.

Collected DS from Rugby match. Plastered in mud from boots to hair. Looked like he had just come off a battlefield. But he was in a GOOD MOOD having run off some of that testosterone.

Bathroom now looks like someone put a horse in the bath......

HerbWoman Thu 27-Nov-14 13:41:10

Could he need bigger fans? Bigger PSU or graphics card might generate more heat and if the fans are insufficient or clogged with dust it might cause the computer to crash. Not that I know much about computers, but this helped when DD started playing Skyrim on our pc. Things started overheating which cut the signal to the monitor and everything would just die. It needed a good clean out with a can of compressed air and now runs fine, and is much quieter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now