Talk

Advanced search

Holidaying without teen

(6 Posts)
WillIEverBeASizeTen Sun 23-Nov-14 12:22:27

I know this has been asked before but I can't remember what was said..I want to go to see my sister in Canada..she has been having a hard time lately and I just wanted to spend some quality time with her without having to 'entertain' my teen (he has been before) He would prefer to stay home with friends anyway. DS will be 17 in January and I'm planning to go in May..my daughter (24) lives here and will be around but she studies/works and is generally busy..is it unreasonable for me to go and leave him 'alone'? I'm a LP and staying with his Father is sadly out of the question.

I left DS home alone when he was 17 for 2 weeks. The only thing I was concerned about was other students in the sixth form finding out he had the place to himself and rocking up, so he was under strict instructions to tell no one at school.
He was fine. I left a pile of cash and my dad was on standby in case of emergency.

ChillySundays Sun 23-Nov-14 22:02:48

Do you mean you DD lives with you? I left my DS16 (not long 16) for a week but my DD19 still lives at home. She is very sensible so knew that she would not let him go wild. She works shifts but would get home at some point at night. I always tell the neighbour we are going away so she knows that anything that resembles a party is a reason to call the police to break it up (she lives across the road so if she can hear it a rowdy party).

I never go onto facebook to say I am away and the DC are told not to say mum and dad are away. My DS knows that if he takes the piss then next time he will have to come with us.

iwantgin Mon 24-Nov-14 06:57:57

Without knowing your DS it is hard to say.. But in all fairness he should be old enough to be able to fend for himself for a couple of weeks.

Does your DD live in the house or just nearby?

As pp say - the thing I would be most concerned about is his friends using the parent free house as party central. But if he is sensible then it'll be fine- and a good time to learn to look after himself.

I have left DS for a couple of 1 night/2 night breaks now. He is almost 17.

At that age I had left home and was fending for myself.

Just ensure that there are a couple of people on call if he needs them - neighbour/friend?

Enjoy your trip.

WillIEverBeASizeTen Mon 24-Nov-14 21:19:00

Thanks for all your replies..My DD lives at home but works/studies/parties..she will be around mostly..he's a fairly sensible boy and his friends are nice lads..I'm not actually worried about the partying..it's more about untying the apron strings! I'm reassured now sfter getting your opinions..thank you all very much indeed!

Mrsjayy Tue 25-Nov-14 21:19:15

He will be fine and his sister is around just in case leave her in charge though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now