Talk

Advanced search

Teenage spots and general unhappiness

(13 Posts)
IrianofWay Thu 20-Nov-14 12:59:34

DS is 17 and has been a reasonably cheerful, if infuriatingly lazy, teenage boy so far. But in the last few months he has got really low emotionally. We are addressing plenty of contributory issues - diet, sleep, exercise - but one of his sources of unhappiness is his skin. He is peppered with spots and nothing really seems to touch them. I sympathise as i was plagued with them in my teens - it seemed to me at the time that I had them for years and they were the most obvious thing about me and they made me miserable. I really want to help him. Can our GP offer anything?

DramaAlpaca Thu 20-Nov-14 13:03:27

DS1 had bad spots when he was about 15, so I persuaded him to see the GP because it was affecting his confidence. GP put him on a daily dose of tetracycline antibiotics and they worked wonders, his skin cleared up completely. I think DS was on them for about 18 months in total.

IrianofWay Thu 20-Nov-14 14:22:21

Thanks drama. I think it's worth a go then

HesNotAMessiah Thu 20-Nov-14 15:23:43

We persisted with all sorts of tea tree type treatments with DD, some worked, some didn't.

But it seemed more cyclical/hormonal than anything else so we eventually went to the GP. Conversation went like this

Us - we were just wondering whether there's anything you can do for DD's skin
GP - of course there is, why haven't you asked before?

Prescription written, drugs taken, almost ovenight improvement.

So so guilty.

'Lifestyle' can trigger an outbreak like before and it is late nights, rubbish food etc thta do that, but the pills seem to get that under control so much more quickly.

ajandjjmum Thu 20-Nov-14 15:35:06

Another one saying GP - we left it too long with DD, and she had real help when she eventually went to the GP.

MilkThistle187 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:39:27

Please take him to your GP, there are lots of treatments available and he doesn't need to suffer

Grammar Thu 20-Nov-14 15:53:32

I echo Milkthistle, take him to the GP without delay, this is SOLVABLE! Teens don't have to put up with the physical and psychological trauma of spots, It can destroy confidence which could never return. These are formative years, don't let this happen

PeaStalks Thu 20-Nov-14 15:56:33

a daily dose of tetracycline antibiotics and they worked wonders
This ^^
Forget about lotions and creams and diet. None of those worked.

IrianofWay Thu 20-Nov-14 16:07:54

Thanks all. I have made an appointment for tomorrow.

I totally agree that it really damages you as a teenager - I honestly think it had a long-term impact on me. Your face is the first thing people look at and I went though agonies feeling like some sort of leper. But back in the 70s and early 80s it was just seen a 'one of those things' and mum bought me flowers of sulphur tablets to 'cleanse the blood', I used loads of 'spot treatments' that smelt weird and did nothing, I am horrified to say I even washed my face in dilute bleach on one occasions sad. I have never had good self-esteem and am a chronic depressive and have often wondered if I had a chance to be a normal teenager who had dates and was able to enjoy getting dressed up and put make-up on, I would have had a better chance.

So far we have used tea-tree oil and gentle faces washes but while they seem to clear up for a week or so, they always comes back with a vengeance.

IrianofWay Thu 20-Nov-14 16:14:59

Garghhh! Bad bad memories...

IrianofWay Fri 21-Nov-14 12:24:22

Saw GP. I could tell he was going to be new and still enthusiastic because every patient going in to see him was at least 10 mins! grin We were 30 mins late going in. But ...he was nice and very understanding. He didn't want to go straight for antibiotics so he prescribed some sort of topical treatment and gave DS all the advice I already gave him. He's going to review in 6 weeks to see if he needs anything stronger. But none of that 'don't be ridiculous! It's just what happens to teenagers' that my GP used to give me when I was suffering.

DramaAlpaca Fri 21-Nov-14 16:00:08

Good news, OP. Hopefully the topical treatment will be enough to make a difference, but if not you know you can take DS back and the GP will take you seriously and move on to the next step.

I understand how you feel, having had my teenage years blighted by spots as well. Good on you for doing this for your son flowers

GnomeDePlume Sat 22-Nov-14 19:43:06

Good news. I think that there is a lot better care available for this. DH took DS to the doctor for something different. Doctor also looked at DS's skin and prescribed Zineryt - a zinc based lotion. After only two days we can see an improvement (a lot less redness).

I hope your DS also has similar success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now