Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD is poorly (asthma) at college; do I go & get her?

(50 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 13-Nov-14 06:48:31

She is nearly 17, she has asthma; she has worked out she is too poorly for college but isn't sure if she is ill enough for the GP

My instinct is to drop everything & goand get her

I can't I have work - I could prob go about 4

She is coughing badly & has a temperature

What should I do?

zippyandbungle Thu 13-Nov-14 06:51:31

Tell her to go to the gp. They won't mind and asthma is not to be messed with.
It will put both your minds at ease and then if you need to you can go for her after work.

zippyandbungle Thu 13-Nov-14 06:52:33

Or a walk in centre if there is one near her.

bigTillyMint Thu 13-Nov-14 06:57:29

I agree, she should go to the GP or walk-in clinic. Asthma + cough + temp should be checked, especially as she knows she is not well enough for college.

KatyMac Thu 13-Nov-14 07:06:00

She says it's a dry cough & no phlegm; but till worry plus she loves college so not going is fairly serious

She has agreed to try & see dr/nurse

I am a wuss

bronya Thu 13-Nov-14 07:07:27

She should go to the GP - she might need steroids as the cough might well be irritating her asthma and it might not respond to the medication she has at home. They will be able to take her peak flow, check her out and advise accordingly.

zippyandbungle Thu 13-Nov-14 07:08:03

No your not. Your a caring mum who is worried. I hope she gets to see someone and starts feeling better.

Jinglebells99 Thu 13-Nov-14 07:10:36

Ah hugs. I would want to go and get her. Can she get to the Dr on her own? Asthma can be very serious, but I'm sure you know that.

whattheseithakasmean Thu 13-Nov-14 07:13:22

Can she check her peak flow? My DD finds this a useful way of reassuring whether it is just a stinky cold or her tubes are shutting down.

KatyMac Thu 13-Nov-14 07:13:27

The taxi company locally has a deal with college students - so she can get there; I don't know how flexible they are about appts as she hasn't been there long

Lottie4 Thu 13-Nov-14 10:34:49

Does she have an inhaler, if so, how many puffs has she had? If not, I think an adult needs to check on her ASAP (either family, a neighbour or local friend whoever can do it the quickest), that way they can assess how had she seems now. If this isn't possible, tell her she must phone the doctor. Chances are she'll end up speaking to the triage nurse before an appointment is issued, but at least that way someone more in the know has assessed her.

KatyMac Thu 13-Nov-14 11:14:27

She is taking her ventolin every hour (just checking if it's one or two puffs)

She made an appointment for tomorrow at 5

Lottie4 Thu 13-Nov-14 13:35:47

If she starts to get near her max with Ventolin and still feels she needs some, then I personally think I would insist she is seen today rather than tomorrow.

KatyMac Thu 13-Nov-14 15:12:48

She has probably had about 10-14 puffs of ventolin since about 6 am - all 2 puffs about 90 minutes apart

I'm still concerned but watching carefully

Jinglebells99 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:10:57

How is she today?

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Nov-14 09:13:44

Please get medical advice.
A friend's son has just died from Asthma - early 20s. sad
It is a serious condition and can get very bad very fast.

KatyMac Fri 14-Nov-14 10:14:11

She is very down today - seeing the GP at 5

She is upset as this was to be her first weekend by herself & she had a party & a trip to London planned (which she has cancelled)

Being depressed/grumpy can often be a sign of a chest infection - so I may well go down and see how she is for myself

Gunfleetsands Fri 14-Nov-14 14:31:11

Is she still needing loads of ventolin? if so make sure she tells the GP how much ventolin she is needing at the moment.

We have asthma in our house and were once told that if DD ever needed ventolin hourly we/she should be making our/her way to hospital.

Chest infections are always a worry.

KatyMac Fri 14-Nov-14 18:05:29

It is just viral atm but she must monitor & go back if it gets worse/phlegmy

Phew! My 100mile dash was pointless

Jinglebells99 Sat 15-Nov-14 10:21:05

I don't think your dash was pointless. Did you go to the doctors with her? I'm glad it isn't more serious and you are reassured. It is worth checking out. Hope she feels better soon.

KatyMac Sat 15-Nov-14 10:56:20

Yes I did & the GP was happy that we had come to get it checked out; the receptionist said that if she'd been working DD would have had an appointment much sooner as she worries about teens & asthma - so I am reassured that if it happens again she will be seen quickly smile

KatieKaye Sat 15-Nov-14 10:58:41

That is really good to hear about the surgery.
Hoping DD is on the mend

KatyMac Sat 15-Nov-14 13:58:05

I agree - it is the same at our own surgery so I am relieved it will be the same here

KatyMac Sun 16-Nov-14 14:42:10

I just got home - leaving her much brighter (with a new Disney mug!)

& off to see Take That turn on the lights in Regent Street!! Not quite what I would do post cold, but then I'm 46 not 16!

KatyMac Wed 19-Nov-14 20:47:39

& now she has a chest infection & is on anti-biotics

Bugger!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now