Talk

Advanced search

Teen all set for a fight

(7 Posts)
LeftHandedMouse Tue 11-Nov-14 17:58:33

Just got in to find school stuff and shoes just dumped, teen girl sat in front of tv stoney faced, body language very defensive, not a word of a hello.

Big row over the usual last night, tonight she looks wound like a spring ready to go off at the slightest. Atmosphere you could cut like a knife.

Planning to ignore her, she's obviously looking for trouble or she'd be in her burrow as usual.

Planning to ignore her, any other suggestions?

JL456 Tue 11-Nov-14 18:53:13

Any clues yet..? Fall out with bf or friends, or something at school/college.?

fieldfare Tue 11-Nov-14 18:56:29

Any ideas what it could be?
My dd is being an obstreperous little madam this afternoon and evening. It's not even a full moon!

LeftHandedMouse Tue 11-Nov-14 22:06:06

I'm going for hormones.

Oddly, ignoring her seems to have calmed the savage beast. Ok so dinner was the usual shovelling affair with all the grace of a giraffe on ice but only limited attempts at picking a fight.

So all good really, bring on tomorrow!

BrowersBlues Tue 11-Nov-14 22:41:04

Left, I take my hat off to you. Well done, we could learn a lot from you.

Heyho111 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:16:59

Teens brains are trying to make them be independant from their parents, to become adults. They way it does that is to make the teen feel hatred towards their parents. With everything some get it worse than others. But they all get it. It's out of their control. They get constant waves of it. They feel anger, embarrassment or loathing towards their parents. Boys slink off to their rooms with some shrugging and grunting. Girls verbalise it beautifully. It's so horrid for them to feel so angry for no reason. It's not deliberate believe it or not. Ignoring it is the way to go. Arguing just adds to the problem.
Please read - get out my life but first take me and Alex to town. It's a brilliant read and will make you understand and show you how to deal with her. It helped me massively. Good luck !

BrowersBlues Sat 15-Nov-14 12:45:10

Left, ignoring is one of the biggest weapons in a parent's arsenal.

Heyho has put it very succintly and explaints exactly what is going on in my home. My DS hates me so much he has moved to his dads. My DD fluctuates between hatred, thinking I am a moron and actually liking me. We had a really lovely day together yesterday - because I spent £130 on clothes for her. Cynical - yes, but true!

I read something recently about how human children stay with their parents longer than any other species. Birds stay in the nest for about 2/3 weeks. Maybe young adults should leave home at 15. Years ago they would have and probably gone off to America at that.

Love that book and a few others. Reading about teenage brains really helped me understand them better. I just wish I had read them sooner, I would have saved myself a lot of grief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now