Talk

Advanced search

Teen boys weight lifting in bedrooms

(6 Posts)
Claybury Wed 05-Nov-14 11:19:50

The thread on protein shakes made me think - is this a newish trend ? Boys wanting to get muscular and lifting weights unsupervised in private ? My DS does this.
Anyone else have a teens who does this, maybe with no other physical activity ? ( ie it is all to achieve a look rather than to be fit / better at sport )

bigTillyMint Wed 05-Nov-14 11:36:34

My DS's friend has just bought himself a bench press. He does regular training in his sport, but is wanting to get more muscular and also stronger at his sport.

I think it is mainly another pressure coming from social media/TV, etcsad

TheFairyCaravan Wed 05-Nov-14 11:42:57

DS1 does/did it.

He did combine it with a lot of other exercise though. He did it because he wanted to join the army and it built up his strength/stamina or something. When he went for selection and all through training he could do the most press-ups and pull ups so something must have worked.

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Nov-14 11:43:45

DS2, who's now 19, started lifting weights to try to bulk out a bit because he's self conscious about being skinny. It's certainly working, he gained a kilo in the first month. He has researched the techniques thoroughly and is confident he knows what he's doing.

He doesn't take protein shakes though, he has upped his protein through food instead. Much healthier, IMO.

bigTillyMint Wed 05-Nov-14 11:46:45

I agree Drama - much better to eat real protein, surely?!

TheFairyCaravan Wed 05-Nov-14 11:50:42

DS1(19) does drink protein shakes. He didn't for a long time when he lived at home, but the food they get fed in the army is dire. They don't get a lot of it, he's always hungry, there is nowhere to prepare food, so he drinks the protein.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now