Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for teenage relationships?

(7 Posts)
LeftHandedMouse Tue 04-Nov-14 08:03:18

Morning,

Are there any books that can help teens understand what a healthy relationship feels like?

We've done all the talking, now I need something that will resonate.

Keep the back story for now.

BertieBotts Tue 04-Nov-14 08:18:28

Fiction or non fiction? Ie do you want a guide to good relationships, or a portrayal of a healthy one?

LeftHandedMouse Tue 04-Nov-14 09:54:10

Either/or really...

I suppose fiction is more likely to get read, but I kind of expected any 'guide to' to be very example/scenario based anyway and not really lecturing.

Suggest away, something might hit the spot of our particular circumstances, which are very probably no different to most.

HowsTheSerenity Tue 04-Nov-14 09:57:42

Forever by Judy Blume.

I swear it was on every girls reading list when I was ant school. Still relevant today.

LeftHandedMouse Tue 04-Nov-14 10:42:45

Is Forever more a sex education book than a 'relationship' one?

HowsTheSerenity Tue 04-Nov-14 10:45:29

It deals with a teenage girls first proper boyfriend and how she deals with him, her parents, peer pressure and sex.

BertieBotts Tue 04-Nov-14 11:17:11

This is good, not drivel like those Men are from Mars books, I love the author's blog. www.amazon.co.uk/Unavailable-Fallback-Girl-Natalie-Lue/dp/1450540392/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

It's more about unhealthy relationships and how to avoid them but also has lots of description of how healthy relationships work too.

The Fault in Our Stars isn't a relationship education book but the relationship portrayed is a healthy one. And Paper Towns by the same author, although neither is happy ever after.

This just caught my eye too. I loved her pregnancy guide, and I've just read through the relationship section of this one (which is a small part of the whole book) and it sounds spot on without being lecturey too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now