Talk

Advanced search

DD 16 may be pregnant

(45 Posts)
chilephilly Sun 02-Nov-14 10:45:02

Period is 2 weeks late. She has been taking the Pill (POP) but only for about 2 months. She says they have used condoms as well, and the doc said the Pill would mess up her cycle.
I on the other hand am worried to death. I'm going to buy a Clearblue test thing today, is 2 weeks late too soon to test?
I am all over the place and feel like the worst parent in the world. I'm taking solace in the fact that at least we are discussing it reasonably!
Could someone talk some sense into me?

Hurr1cane Sun 02-Nov-14 10:46:45

It can happen, happened to me at 17 but it's very rare and much more likely to be the pill messing her up.

You can test after a missed period and first morning urine is better

IKYTWTLYA Sun 02-Nov-14 10:48:38

2 weeks late is a good time to test. Should get a definitive result.

It is good you're discussing reasonably.

Is she 16 in yr11 or yr12? Either way, if she is pregnant (and it sounds unlikely) she should make it to the summer exams before it's due, and with support could continue after the summer holidays and on into uni (there are huge childcare grants available).

I might be in a minority, but I don't think this has to be the complete catastrophe the Daily Fail would imagine. It'll depend on her determination to continue with study, etc.

WishUponAStar88 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:51:06

At 2 weeks late the pregnancy test would be accurate. Highly unlikely to be positive I would imagine if she has been taking the pill and using condoms too.
It's good that your daughter can talk openly with you - I hope she is ok whatever the result thanks

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 02-Nov-14 10:51:11

She is lucky to have an understanding mum

EllaJayne123 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:51:34

I got pregnant on the pill at 18, but it also messed my periods up allot at the beginning. Try not to worry it is far more likely the latter option. Hope all goes ok for you both cake

DanceToJoyDivision Sun 02-Nov-14 10:55:09

If she is indeed pregnant, you should get an unequivocal positive with any test. Two weeks late is not too soon to test at all - some tests are so sensitive that they will show a positive result even before a missed period.

Take a deep breath and buy her a test. Lots of things can delay a period but there is no much point speculating when you can just get a test and know for sure!

It will be OK either way OP flowers

SanityClause Sun 02-Nov-14 11:01:36

You and she are doing brilliantly. You should be proud to have such a good relationship with your DD.

Get her to do the test. Then, if she is pregnant, there will be a few weeks for her to get some counselling so she can decide what she wants to do.

If not, then you can all relax.

All the best. flowers

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 02-Nov-14 11:02:44

How on earth are you the worst parent in the world? Give yourself a shake!

Your 16 yo DD can and is talking to you about this. When I had a similar scare there was no way in hell I could talk to my parents, I'd have never seen the outside world unaccompanied again!

We hadn't had sex without a condom, I was on the pill, I was 16. I wasn't pregnant, just 'late', probably the pill settling in!

She is on the pill, they are using condoms, hopefully all the time, have you asked her if they have had sex without them at all? 'Just to see what it was like?' If they haven't the chances of her being pregnant are virtually nil. Even if they have, the chances are still very slim if she has been taking her pill properly, it's scary the way some women think you can miss a day! take two the next! only take it on days you'll be having sex... Make sure she's fully understands how to take it and nit to believe any of the crap she hears from friends, to ask you or the doctor.

It is highly unlikely she's pregnant, far more likely the pill messing with her system!

chilephilly Sun 02-Nov-14 11:03:41

Thank you all. I feel a bit better now. She is in Y12 with great plans. Off to buy test now, at least if we know for sure we'll know what to do next. I really hope there isn't a next, though.

Allice Sun 02-Nov-14 11:17:36

Really hope she gets the result she wants. Fingers crossed

bigTillyMint Sun 02-Nov-14 12:10:47

I think the stress of worrying about it can delay a period. Definitely happened to me at the same age.

Fingers crossed for you.

saintsandpoets Sun 02-Nov-14 12:12:30

I am 99.9% sure she isn't pregnant.

thanks

Babiecakes11 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:14:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrystalSkull Sun 02-Nov-14 15:59:43

Hang on - the POP (mini pill) often stops periods. It did for me; I haven't had one for three years! I think they stopped immediately or after a month or two. I really wouldn't worry too much yet.

BitOutOfPractice Sun 02-Nov-14 16:18:48

Good luck op!

chilephilly Sun 02-Nov-14 16:20:50

Have done test. It came back as "Book Error". Have to do another one. I could cry.

Itsjustanotherday Sun 02-Nov-14 16:21:13

Good luck!

LegoCaltrops Sun 02-Nov-14 16:28:27

Good luck!

saintsandpoets Sun 02-Nov-14 16:32:01

Did you buy a pack of two?

LittleBairn Sun 02-Nov-14 16:34:44

Goodness I've never had a book error before.msounds like a bad test.
Honestly even a very cheap test will give you an accurate result at this stage.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sun 02-Nov-14 16:36:56

Good luck. I didn't have a period for over a year when I was on the POP.

PercyHorse Sun 02-Nov-14 16:37:07

Hopefully it's just the pill.

RunByFruiting Sun 02-Nov-14 16:37:42

You need to dip it in the wee for longer (found they're a bit rubbish if you're weeing onto it, much better having a pot to dip in).

I had that error with a two pack!

Good luck to you & DD, you sound like a lovely mum x

Imperial Sun 02-Nov-14 17:06:56

I had the book error - I think I can't wee straight. Best to do it in a pot then dip it in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now