Talk

Advanced search

12 year old answering door

(36 Posts)
nickthedad Sat 04-Oct-14 21:12:04

I leave my 12 year old DD in the house alone for an hour on Saturday morning when I take my son to karate. We live in a safe village. I've told her not to answer the door. Should she open the door if I have a prearranged delivery from a courier firm. I'd rather she didn't. Am I being paranoid?

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 04-Oct-14 21:13:58

Yes

Seriouslyffs Sat 04-Oct-14 21:15:21

Yes

OutDamnSpot Sat 04-Oct-14 21:21:36

I let my 8 year old open the door. She sometimes does it when I am upstairs / in utility at back of house.
I suppose she could open door to a criminal but postman / chugger / dad without keys (again!) seem much more likely and I don't want to teach her to fear everything.
But I do wonder if I'm being too relaxed sometimes... Joys of parenting, neither way is right!

Heyho111 Sat 04-Oct-14 23:53:33

Of course she can open the door. You'll just turn her into jibbering wreck if you tell her there are bad people that knock on doors when your alone. However you package it that's what your saying.

Dancergirl Sat 04-Oct-14 23:59:07

I'm quite surprised about the responses here. I'm quite a relaxed parent and have allowed my dds to stay alone at home for short periods since the age of 10 or so, but our rule is they don't answer the door. It's just simpler that way, nothing's that urgent that the caller can't come back later.

scurryfunge Sun 05-Oct-14 00:03:59

Agree with Dancer and I doubt a courier would accept a signature from a child anyway.

Coffeeinapapercup Sun 05-Oct-14 00:05:29

Do you have a chain on the door? Yes a twelve year old should be able to open the door, yes it's simpler if they don't but putting a chain on the door allows the freedom and is safer all round

ChippingInLatteLover Sun 05-Oct-14 00:08:29

Yes, but she wont be allowed to sign for it.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 05-Oct-14 00:10:01

I can't imagine my inquisitive DD1 not answering the door and DD2 most likely would.

It will only be a parcel man.

MirandaWest Sun 05-Oct-14 00:17:40

Would she be allowed to sign for it?

SoonToBeSix Sun 05-Oct-14 00:21:17

Yes they will let her sign for it. My dd has been signing for packages since she was eight- with me in the next room.

HowsTheSerenity Sun 05-Oct-14 01:04:08

Of course she should open the door. How will learn to function in society if at age 12 she isn't allowed to open the door?
If you are worried about potential child molestors then statistically it's more likely to be her uncle (or other relative/friend) then a random stranger.

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 05-Oct-14 01:20:36

I say don't answer the door, unless I'm expecting something/someone, in which case check and open it if it's the right person.

Lottiedoubtie Sun 05-Oct-14 01:25:40

Do child molesters knock on doors at random these days? Seems unlikely?

Behoove Sun 05-Oct-14 01:26:06

Yes.

Behoove Sun 05-Oct-14 01:26:38

That was in answer to the op grin

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 05-Oct-14 09:46:15

I'm not worried about child molesters at the door, but I've certainly had a few weirdos knock over the years, and my 12 year old would rather not have to deal with them/shut the door in people's face.

mumeeee Sun 05-Oct-14 12:53:56

Yes she can open the door. However they may not let her sign for it. Depends on the firm. I have had some firms say they won't let under 18s sign. Which I actually think is ridiculous.

Hakluyt Sun 05-Oct-14 12:56:00

Yes- so long as she's got her tinfoil hat on......

mausmaus Sun 05-Oct-14 12:58:23

yes, let her open the door.
but drill it into her talk to her that she checks through the window first.

googoodolly Sun 05-Oct-14 15:28:47

Of course she can answer the door! I was answering the postman/signing for packages from about nine or so, but we did have a peephole and if it wasn't the postie/a courier service/a neighbour I ignored it.

southeastastra Sun 05-Oct-14 15:30:11

my son has been taking in orders for me from about 10!

BackforGood Sun 05-Oct-14 18:13:12

Yes.
At 8 or so, I'd tell them not to open the door, but then you let them open the door whilst you are hovering in the background, and get used to dealing with whoever it might be, then they will be able to do it by themselves when they are 12.

darlingfascistbullyboy Sun 05-Oct-14 21:26:53

my 14 year old answers the door/takes deliveries if we are in but I ask her not to answer the door if we're out. Not because of "child molesters" but because she can do without the hassle of chuggers, Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses, young men on probation selling mops, old men trying to sell us new soffits, scrap metal dealers, Sky TV, the TV license people, random people asking for petition signatures, the local Tory party, the drug woman who lives at the end of the road & always needs £1 ... etc etc etc. But then I don't answer the door to those people either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now