Talk

Advanced search

ideas for weekend away with troubled teen boy

(11 Posts)
46direct Mon 31-Mar-14 18:35:48

Son age 16.
He needs time with me I think. Doesn't get on with dad. Having problems at college. Is a bit depressed.
He gets on with me most. He is selfish and lazy and cruel a lot of the time. I want to give him some 'me' time youngest of 4 .
Any ideas of not £££ but away?
Nw uk based.

grants1000 Tue 01-Apr-14 16:15:32

B&B and walking in the lake district. You can hire little boats on Lake Windamere near to the Low Wood Hotel and have a little potter around the lake just the two of you, wide open space, away from everyone, time to talk. Youcould go to a nice pub for lunch/dinner.

Hope you get it sorted out, sounds like a lovley idea for you two to go off together and have some time together.

46direct Wed 02-Apr-14 00:20:00

Thanks for responding.
Good idea.
Asked him if we did do something together what would he like. Didn't mention weekend option. After asking what I wanted and me saying it was about what would he like not me, and if it was his brother then I know he would like xxx he said he would like a museum trip - space museum and burgers. Is there such a thing in Manchester / anywhere Nw?
Otherwise lake district excellent option. Been there when he was little and can think of good ideas there.

Maryz Wed 02-Apr-14 00:23:57

Mountains are good. Or surfing, if you can get to a surf beach (probably not from Manchester).

Does he support a football team? A stadium visit?

No idea on space museum, sorry.

Dancingdreamer Wed 02-Apr-14 00:27:44

There is a space museum in Leicestershire.

www.spacecentre.co.uk

Dancingdreamer Wed 02-Apr-14 00:28:50

www.spacecentre.co.uk

46direct Wed 02-Apr-14 00:33:00

Zero football interest.
lakes prob good option. but ..
Would think a museum with something really quirky would be good, and cheap hotel in a nw town (we don't live in one of the main cities). Day trip to same awesome due to cost savings!
(He is an odd child)

46direct Wed 02-Apr-14 00:35:05

Right
Gonna Google cheap travelodge etc Leicester!

flow4 Wed 02-Apr-14 09:13:46

Jodrell Bank is open to the public! Huge, real space telescopes and research labs and displays. It's part of the university of Manchester, and a few miles out of the city in Cheshire. Reminds me we must go there!
www.jodrellbank.net/discovery-centre/

Manchester Museum of Science and Industry is pretty good too. smile www.mosi.org.uk

gymboywalton Thu 03-Apr-14 14:20:00

spaceport in birkenhead also good-combine with a trip on the mersey ferry

ThreeLannistersOneTargaryen Thu 03-Apr-14 15:22:40

The space centre is a brilliant day out, but in my opinion is best for 8-12 year olds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now