Talk

Advanced search

compulsory education, worried for ds

(10 Posts)
M2GMOJK Sun 30-Mar-14 13:28:20

My ds2 has applied for a college place in motor vehicle. I am confused by the new laws for compulsory education. He has underachieved and suffered a number of setbacks due to illness but also his own attitude. He won't get into 6th form at his present school and I am worried he will get turned down for college. There doesnt seem to be enough guidance out there.Is anyone going through a similar experience?

chocoluvva Mon 31-Mar-14 02:00:38

Bumping for you.

However - you might get more replies in the Education threads.

Good luck. smile

flow4 Mon 31-Mar-14 08:12:54

Different sixth form colleges have different entry requirements, and some only require 5 GCSEs grades A-C, so many young people get in, even if they underachieved. Also, your local FE college will have lots of choices. He'll get to re-take his GCSEs in English and maths if he needs them, plus do NVQs or a BTEC in a range of subjects from engineering to pet care.

cory Mon 31-Mar-14 08:43:09

What flow said about different entry requirements and FE colleges.

There is also the option of apprenticeships; they count as education for these purposes.

BringBackBod Mon 31-Mar-14 09:34:23

Please don't despair. There is a good chance he will be successful in getting on a college course.
At our local college there are 4 levels of entry for motor vehicle courses, ranging from entry level where no formal qualifications are required, to level 3, which usually requires 5 gcse's at c or above.

mrsjay Mon 31-Mar-14 10:21:00

what cory said we have had this in scotland for a while and a lot of children left college at 16 as long as they were doing something it is fine he should get onto his course fine don't panic too much

teenagetantrums Mon 31-Mar-14 10:30:13

My DD got into college after failing most of her exams, they make her do a basic maths and English as well as her course, you will find something for him dont worry, he also could just get a job, to be honest lots of my DD's friends have dropped out of college and are working, nobody seems to stopping them even though they should be in education until 17 at the moment, not sure how they police this new law.

mrsjay Mon 31-Mar-14 10:31:44

if they are working then it won't really matter will it ?

M2GMOJK Mon 31-Mar-14 21:34:41

Thank you for taking the time to reply. it kind of feels like a massive deal at the moment because I know he is likely to fail his gcses, he is really capable which just makes it so frustrating :0( x

M2GMOJK Mon 31-Mar-14 21:35:51

Thank you for taking the time to reply. it kind of feels like a massive deal at the moment because I know he is likely to fail his gcses, he is really capable which just makes it so frustrating :0( x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now