Talk

Advanced search

constipation

(5 Posts)
ekmum49 Thu 27-Mar-14 01:00:57

Hi all im hoping someone may be able to help my 13 yr old daughter suffers from severe constipation,we had a really bad time with it recently,10 days of nothing ,tried senncot ,movicol even picolax nothing working ........please help

Travelledtheworld Thu 27-Mar-14 04:33:49

Time to go to the doctor ?
Does she eat enough fruit and veg and drink enough water ?

meditrina Thu 27-Mar-14 05:17:29

As this sounds frequent, then I second the advice about trip to the doctor and attention to fibre/fluid in the diet.

In the short term, I'd add psyllium husks to her diet (fibre supplement), plus apples; and use lactulose as laxative. With a teen, a stimulant is possible, but if a senna based one isn't doing anything then that's a q for you GP.

StUmbrageinSkelt Thu 27-Mar-14 05:41:35

Don't add the fibre until you have cleared the current backlog in her colon. It just sits there and adds to the problem. A low fibre diet until the constipation is gone and then add fibre. Push fluids.

Talk to your GP about what options there are. We use movicol followed by bisacodyl (one softens the stool, the other triggers the bowel to move the stool out).

MomOfTwoGirls2 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:57:10

Make sure she drinks loads of water.
But definitely take a trip to GP due to all the above medication not working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now