Talk

Advanced search

Montelukast and depression

(5 Posts)
sanityseeker75 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:48:12

Hi, posted on health as well but not sure of how much traffic but my son has told me tonight that he thinks about hurting himself. He said he hasn't acted on it but just wants to make the pain stop by being in pain.

I am way out of my depth here and don't know what to think. He says he has felt like this for about a year now. I put his quiet and reluctance to talk down to teenage years (15 in August) but then this.

I feel glad that he has at least told me and have booked an appointment with gp but then I remembered reading in side effects of montelukast and checked and it can be. Does anyone else have experience of this or is it just wishful thinking that at least there is a reason iyswim?

Travelledtheworld Tue 25-Mar-14 19:36:55

Singulair ?

Are you in the UK ? This drug is commonly used in the USA.

sanityseeker75 Tue 25-Mar-14 19:51:01

Yes singulair and yes in uk.

Don't know anyone else on it here, first I had heard of it was after son was prescribed it after severe asthma attack about 18 months ago.

jcoo Tue 25-Mar-14 21:05:48

This sounds so familiar to me. My son is 15 and I have now taken him out of school which deeply saddens me. He tried to self-harm last year and although superficial I did seek counselling. Unfortunately her wasn't ready to talk and still really isn't but has a great GP who now meets with him and talks to him. He is on antidepressants but I do not see a lot of change. It is a long long process and I sometimes feel I have failed in being a parent. I am on my own but have a great family who support us both. All I can say is you need to just keep letting him know you are there and you have his back and hopefully you will get a glimmer of hope.

sanityseeker75 Wed 26-Mar-14 09:42:30

jcoo - I feel such a failure, all I can think about is that my boy is that sad that he wants to hurt himself and I don't understand why. I do work and always have done and he has step brothers and sisters who are with us EW. Is this my fault for not being there for him enough or spreading myself too thin?

I am scared that because he hasn't done anything then they may not take it seriously enough but keep trying to convince myself that it is good that he told me before he did anything.

How do you just carry on with things, work etc? It is all I can think about and I just don't know how to make it better for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now