Talk

Advanced search

14 yr old ds crying alot

(5 Posts)
popperdoodles Sat 22-Mar-14 20:11:12

really don't know how to help him sad He doesn't know what's wrong but it's tears of anger and frustration rather than sadness. Must be horrible for him and caused by hormones.
Please say this stage will soon pass??

foofooyeah Sat 22-Mar-14 20:18:39

I think this age is a very difficult one for a boy .... Hormones going mental and loads of self doubt.

I don't have any sound advice I'm afraid, make sure he knows your there for him, encourage physical activity, try not to criticise too much.

FernieB Sat 22-Mar-14 20:21:21

Just sit with him and be there for him. It may help if you just chat away about nothing - what you've done, what's for dinner etc. sometimes just talking about boring, normal stuff can calm things down. Take him a drink and a snack and just put it near him. Tidy up a bit in his room. Showing him you care by doing simple things like that can help.

Don't ask him what's wrong - just let him know that he can tell you if he wants. If it is hormonal then he'll probably feel daft but if you act normally he'll feel better.

popperdoodles Sat 22-Mar-14 20:34:34

thank you. He is very active and social which is great. I think he gets very tired too often trying to fit too much in, sports clubs, friends plus homework. He has always been such a well behaved "easy" child. Will ofcourse be there and listen it just breaks my heart to see him like this. Good to hear it's kind of normal

PixelAteMyFace Sat 22-Mar-14 20:40:21

Poor DS and poor you sad

As the others said, just make it clear that you are there for him, will listen to whatever he wants to talk about. (although it's very difficult sometimes to get teenage boys to say what is wrong). Just being there physically can be a comfort, buying his favourite biscuits, cooking his favourite meals etc.

Boys have a harder time in adolescence than girls, because they are expected to conform more to stereotype than girls. People also are prepared for girls to be emotional and weepy with PMT, but rarely consider that boys are also undergoing massive hormonal surges.

Is he insecure about his appearance? At this age they are so often gangly and spotty with a voice that goes from honk to squeak without warning, and they get so obsessed about their own appearance that they don't notice that most of their friends look the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now