Talk

Advanced search

Year 10 ... Predicted Grade As?

(19 Posts)
ChristmasAlreadyOver Fri 21-Mar-14 17:42:26

DS is predicted mainly As and has mocks next week, how much revision is reasonable?

His homework usually takes about 30-60 mins
I have suggested 2 hours on Sunday ( we are out all this evening and tomorrow) but it isn't going down well.

How much homework/ revision does your Year 10/Grade A do?

Thanks

RufusTheReindeer Fri 21-Mar-14 17:50:16

Our school have suggested 2 hours a day during the week

I think they intend for them to do more over the weekend but I can't remember if they suggested doubling it or not

chicaguapa Fri 21-Mar-14 17:50:44

It depends whether his prediction is grade A with no work at all or he is capable of getting a grade A if he puts the work in.

What did he get in his mocks? I'm assuming he didn't revise for them if you're struggling to get him to revise for the real ones. That will give you a benchmark.

chicaguapa Fri 21-Mar-14 17:51:25

I see! It is the mocks. blush

Northernlurker Fri 21-Mar-14 17:52:57

Given that he's in Year 10 and these are the mocks I wouldn't make any suggestions at all in your place. Let him do what he thinks he needs and then let him see what he comes out with. That should clarify the issue for both of you. Just a waste of effort for you to try to get him to revise when he doesn't see a need to.

ChristmasAlreadyOver Fri 21-Mar-14 18:03:11

Good idea NL, but am I brave enough?
In chemistry he might go down a set.shock

He is predicted As if he puts in the work.

littlegreenlight1 Fri 21-Mar-14 18:07:51

dd is year 11 predicted mostly As and should be doing min 2 but more like 3 hours a day (much to her horror and she will most likely not get many of those As at this stage)
So I would probably say minimum of an hour a day!!

LynetteScavo Fri 21-Mar-14 18:14:21

Three hours a day?shockshockshockshock

DS is year 10 and does nothing to my knowledge! He's predicted A's if he continues to do what he does. It seems if he pays attention in class and is taught properly then he should do ok if he remembers it.

What would you be doing for three hours a day???

ChristmasAlreadyOver Fri 21-Mar-14 18:21:21

3 hours a day shock

Dd-working hard for A levels -doesn't do that!

ChristmasAlreadyOver Fri 21-Mar-14 18:22:44

That's the difference, if DS doesn't work he won't get As, more likely to be Cs

Has anyone tried what NL suggested? How did it go?

BettyBotter Fri 21-Mar-14 18:36:12

DS2 in this boat. I told him that apparently he should be doing 2 to 3 hours work a night. He laughed and asked 'what work?' hmm

I actually disagree with the hours per week thing and think ds has a point. If a year 10 is getting As or is predicted As now, then they're doing something right, however much or little work they're doing. Forcing them to sit at their books for a certain amount of time is not going to change how much learning is going in.

littlegreenlight1 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:02:48

My dd was predicted all As at the rate she was going - she hasnt actually dropped the amount she is studying, its just harder and more intense etc.
I dont agree on the amount of hours per week, its quality of revision isnt it, when I come home to find her watching gossip girl while making a mind map of crap, but in very pretty colours, I do wonder whether she will get an GCSEs at all.

Travelledtheworld Fri 21-Mar-14 20:12:37

I have DD year 10 does very little or no homework let alone revision and has all predicted A and A*s. ( she is at a very good selective school).

I think it's more effective to spend 10 mins a day going over stuff they have learned in class, to consolidate what they have learned. Or focus on clarifying things they only have a basic grasp of.

TeenAndTween Fri 21-Mar-14 20:44:18

DD1 also y10. Doesn't find schoolwork easy, certainly doesn't 'just remember stuff from lessons', but wants to do well.

She had some end of term tests at Christmas over a 2 week period. She probably did 5hrs plus in each subject tested which if I recollect were Chemistry, Biology, ICT, Maths and History.

The more she learns of her science now, the easier she will find it come end year 11. There is a lot of it.

I think learning how to revise is important. If they've never tried before the actual GCSEs, how will they know what techniques work?

Some kids will rest on their laurels if they do well in tests/mocks. Mine would get downhearted, so it's better for her to revise and do as well as she can.

If this is mocks in all subjects, then 2hrs doesn't really seem enough to me. It would work out at <15mins per GCSE wouldn't it?

Kazzyv Sat 22-Mar-14 07:01:31

Gcse's I would agree that if he is being predicted As then carry on with what he is prepared to do and don't have the battle. But do beware for AS levels and A levels the work / learning is much much harder. My son had great GCSEs but thought he could get away with the same level of work for his AS year. He ended up with BDDE. Now has a summer of all his A levels plus retakes on all his AS levels and has I think 20 exams in a 5 week period. Working about 11 hours a day on school days (including lessons) and around 7 on non school days- realises it would have been easier to put in more hours last year.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Mar-14 08:29:12

But 15 mins per subject each day x 10 subjects is 2.5 hours... Leaving little time for much else. Some teenagers must be living miserable lives hmm

I do agree that A levels will be a different ball game, though.

TeenAndTween Sat 22-Mar-14 16:05:27

Lynette I think the OP was suggesting 2hrs total for revision for DS's tests. That would be inadequate.
15 mins per subject per day over an extended period of time is quite a different matter!

My DD gets home by 3:20. So if there were no other homework she can do 2-2.5hrs work before tea, leaving quite a lot of time free each evening for activities/facebooking etc.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Mar-14 18:07:33

Oh, OK in total - duh! (Can you tell I didn't get any A's in my GCSE's grin)

I think when it comes to boys and revision, you can lead a horse to water.....so if you tell him Sunday pm (for example) is revision time and send him to his room for two hours, then you have done your bit, and it's up to him if he chooses to revise or not. A low mark in an exam would definitely shock my DS into putting in some effort. (He was once threatened with being moved down a set in English if he didn't hand in a piece of homework by the next day....it's the only time I've seen him actually do any homework!)

My DS is home just before 5, so by the time we have eaten and cleared away it's 6pm. If DS worked until 8pm it would be a bloody miracle it would be quite late.

I do apreciate DS would get A* if he put some work in, and that won't be happening, but DS isn't very straight forward, so we will be happy with A's and B's, rather than him refusing to go to school, which could be the alternative.

ChristmasAlreadyOver Sun 23-Mar-14 20:34:29

Well he has managed 2 hours today but v reluctantly. However most of that was homework rather than revision.
He is quite happy doing My Maths I wish there was an equivalent for other subjects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now