Talk

Advanced search

London show recommendations for 19th and 16th birthdays

(16 Posts)
MotherOfGirls Wed 19-Mar-14 09:57:52

Our DDs have their birthdays 3 years and one day apart at the end of April. This year I'm thinking of a show in London on the nearest Saturday, as a birthday outing. Can anyone recommend anything which they might both enjoy, please? If DH and I enjoy it too, that will be a bonus!!!

cathyandclaire Wed 19-Mar-14 10:08:22

Are they musical theatre fans? Have they seen much already?

Book of Mormon is one of the hot tickets now and I thought it was brilliant, although often shocking and rude, I would be happy for my 15 year old to see it <slack relaxed mother>
I've also heard good things about I can't sing, the X factor musical (although the very idea made me uneasy, it's meant to be great) and that is previewing now so you could get in early.
Other than that there are the old chestnuts like Les Mis, Wicked and Billy Elliot which are perennially fab IMO or if Miss Saigon is starting late April/beg May which should be good too.
Lucky girls what a great birthday treat!

MotherOfGirls Wed 19-Mar-14 10:32:22

Thanks for the ideas cathyandclaire. I'll have a look at al those suggestions. We never do this, so I'm not sure what sort of fans any of us are!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 19-Mar-14 10:36:19

Definitely Book of Mormon! Just as long as you're not easily offended ...!

3catsandcounting Wed 19-Mar-14 11:26:53

We went to see Spamalot in London in October. DCs 14 and 16; good fun, daft but not a 'big' show. We watched some Monty Python before we went to introduce them to the idea; both came out smiling! It was at the Playhouse, lovely, old and intimate theatre. Not sure how long it's running but would recommend anyway.

mumeeee Wed 19-Mar-14 12:34:26

I took DD2 to see Wicked for her 18th. We both really enjoyed it and found it very funny.

Claybury Wed 19-Mar-14 14:58:13

Book of Mormon for a family day out ! I'm not so sure. It's really offensive.
Beware before choosing this.
Les mis is fab.

MotherOfGirls Thu 20-Mar-14 10:17:27

Any thoughts on The Lion King?

mumeeee Thu 20-Mar-14 11:25:44

All 3 of my DDs have seen Lion King and all loved it. In fact 2 of them have seen it twice.

Hels20 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:29:46

Book of Mormon is incredibly expensive - I think over £100 for a good seat ticket.

At that age, I would be thinking more Mamma Mia or Jersey Boys (although fcuk is used a lot) - familiar songs - and you can often get deals (the last time I went to see Jersey Boys I think I picked up stall tickets for £40 each.) Otherwise, I agree - Wicked is great and Billy Elliot.

MotherOfGirls Thu 20-Mar-14 11:47:30

How old are your DDs, mumeeee? DH wants to see The Lion King but I don't want DDs to feel we have chosen something beneath them!!!

cathyandclaire Thu 20-Mar-14 13:02:25

My DDs are musical theatre fanatics so are always keen to see the newest and most innovative etc. hence the Book of Mormon suggestion. However totally agree that there are other safer options!

My DDs (15 and 17) said they would suggest Wicked, Les Mis or Matilda to a friend
(but have BOM, Urinetown and I can't Sing on their must see list)

We liked Lion King, the staging is excellent and I think it works for any age, also the songs are familiar which helps (avoid matinees though as can be lots of noisy kids.) -it's not my favourite but I know loads love it. Echo the Spamalot call, it is very funny and great songs. Saw Jersey Boys recently and really enjoyed it but wonder whether it may appeal more to an older age group, DDs liked it but weren't blown away.

TBH you'll probably have a wonderful time whatever you see, they all have their own charm ad everyone likes different things as you can tell by the posts!!!

WhenWeMet Thu 20-Mar-14 16:22:20

Wicked every time. I took my then 14 yo DD and we had an amazing time. We even bought the CD and sing along. We enjoyed it so much that we are seeing it again in October.

mumeeee Thu 20-Mar-14 16:35:10

They are all in their 20s now. They were over 16 when they first saw it. DD1 went for her 18th Birthday. Then she saw it again after she was married. she was about 22 and took her DH for his Birthday. She is a bit of a lion king fanatic though. DD2 is really in to musical theatre and has been in some herself.

sinningsaint Fri 21-Mar-14 07:47:33

I took my DD's to The Lion King at 15 and 20 and they both absolutely loved it, even though DD2 had only seen the film a couple of days beforehand i know i'm a terrible mother. Took them to see Les mis at 16 and 21 and again both absolutely loved it! Otherwise they are bound to enjoy Wicked, Mamma Mia, Billy etc. smile

MotherOfGirls Sat 22-Mar-14 14:08:19

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking that I will tell them what we have planned and let them choose the show as I wouldn't want to surprise them on the day and then find they really wanted to see something else. As everyone seems to say, we will enjoy whatever we see in the end smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now