Talk

Advanced search

The braces are coming off!! What happens next?

(51 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 09:31:22

After 2 years of braces and elastics and 6 weekly adjustments DS1's braces are being removed on 1st May. grin

So does they get removed (does that hurt) and then he wears his retainer at night and all will be well. Or is there anything else to consider?

TIA

TeenAndTween Wed 05-Mar-14 11:02:32

Congrats to your DS. DD1's are coming off at the end of this month too. I don't think there is anything else to consider, apart from they really must be consistent with the retainer.
Would also be interested to know in advance if there is anything else.

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 11:06:09

Brilliant Teen, is she really excited? 2 years seemed forever when he first had them and he was so upset.

He asked me whether it hurt when they took them off? i would imagine it does but said I didn't know.

He is worried as he has to have another lot of impressions for the retainer. He nearly had a panic attack and couldn't breathe the last time he had them done.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Wed 05-Mar-14 11:09:17

He will eat toast without any fear and feel his teeth with his tongue a good bit.

If he's anything like I was he'll go and find someone to snog a lot

Nocomet Wed 05-Mar-14 11:29:16

You'll keep finding his retainer in stupid places and get lots of moans it rubs.

For good reason DD hasn't had her retainer on as much as she should so she's trying to be good and wear it in the day for two months not one (no snack ridden concert rehearsals this month).

Taking off brace however is quick and painless.

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 11:37:55

Ooh yes. the forbidden food list will be torn up. Haribo, Pepsi and chewing gum here we come. sad

beelights Wed 05-Mar-14 13:30:47

He will have a retainer to wear at night 'for the rest of his life' (!!!) we were told. I am aiming for 18...The teeth do shift a bit anyway, especially for boys as their jaws change shape so much. No, it didn't seem to hurt DS1 at all and the night time retainer routine has been fine. Use Steradent to clean them once a fortnight (as well as him brushing them clean).

Beware - the retainers are free with the treatment (on NHS) or possibly with your package, but if they get lost or damaged they cost from £70 + to replace. They do eventually crack and split a bit, but this is normal as long as they aren't actually broken in two.

Oh, and he will be happy to be told constantly how gorgeous he is now with his perfect gnashers!

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 14:48:43

AAh thanks bee that sounds reassuring. Except for the £70 bit. grin

was it weird to see him without the braces?

Nocomet Wed 05-Mar-14 15:17:50

Actually it's weird seeing pictures of DD1 with her brace, I got used to her without instantly (although DD without wiggly bottom teeth is odd).

DD threw thew the forbbiden food list out the window two days after having her brace. She just ate everything and cleaned her teeth religiously.

She says her DF wore her retainer at night for about 3 years until she lost it and has never replaced it. DD's is £60x2=120 so she'd better not lose it.

Pollycazalet Wed 05-Mar-14 17:02:49

Braces novice here but DD about to embark on the process. Do they seriously have to wear retainers forever once braces removed?

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 17:06:10

That's what we have been told Polly. How that actually works I don't know. He's only 14 now but I can't imagine how it works as you get older.

Why are they so expensive NoComet?

MistressDeeCee Wed 05-Mar-14 17:10:14

DD2 is 18, her 2 years of wearing braces are up in September. So its nice to see all this info re. what to expect. We were also told she'd have to wear a retainer at night for the rest of her life?! Im just going to drum it into her that she will have to be consistent with her retainer, and guard it with her life smile

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 17:11:26

So are all the teenagers at Uni all religiously wearing their retainers at night? confused

ajandjjmum Wed 05-Mar-14 17:14:39

For a while after DD had her braces removed, her teeth looked pretty yellow. She went for teeth whitening (in desperation!) and was told it was adhesive that wasn't cleaned off properly.

Obviously she has changed her dentist - but just to warn others!

She now has lovely, white, straight teeth. smile

sinningsaint Wed 05-Mar-14 19:44:26

Sparkling in answer to your question, yes!! 21 y/o DD1 got hers off 4 years ago and is still wearing at night now even though she is in her 3rd year at uni (only 2-3 times a week) and says most mates who had braces still wear theirs shock

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 19:46:32

aj I assumed the Orthodontist would clean the teeth after the braces come off. Will watch out for that.

sinning that is really good. Faith in teenagers restored. grin

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 05-Mar-14 19:54:27

DD had to wear her retainer 24 hours for a month when her braces came off. She's on every night for 6 months then they said 3-4 a week for rest of her life.

The orthodontist was saying most people know of people who didn't wear theirs and their teeth moved, so teenagers much better about wearing their retainers these days.

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 19:55:48

We do know of one girl who didn't use hers. Massive gap between her front teeth now. sad

Madlizzy Wed 05-Mar-14 19:58:02

DS2's are coming off in three months and he's been told to wear the retainer every night for a couple of years and then try it every couple of weeks - if it's tight, wear it every night until it's comfortable again.

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 21:14:14

That sounds a bit better actually Madlizzy.

Mrsmorton Wed 05-Mar-14 22:02:43

You could ask for bonded retainers which are permanently stuck to the teeth and practically invisible unless you laugh with a huuuuge mouth.

Without retainers, the teeth often move back to where they were genetically designed to be so all that work will have been wasted and it is extremely expensive to have adult ortho. Please do the retainer thing otherwise it willbe such a shame.

sandyballs Wed 05-Mar-14 22:07:08

DD had hers removed today, needed impressions doing for retainer which we collect next week. 24 hours a day for a month then every night. Her gums look sore and inflamed but they said that will settle down. Look great!

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Mar-14 22:19:04

YY Mrsm I think a lecture will be given and I will do spot checks. He is now wearing mahoosive elastics only at night, Any idea how that works?

How were the impressions sandy. DS is terrified after last time.

Mrsmorton Wed 05-Mar-14 22:22:38

Yikes, it's a long time since I did ortho so I'll be no help, sorry.

Wiifitmama Wed 05-Mar-14 22:28:59

I don't understand this about wearing retainers for life. I had braces for 3.5 years when I was a teenager (I am early 40's now). I sucked my thumb and had buck teeth. I had a retainer afterwards for about a year and that was it. My teeth stayed straight for the most part. There has probably been slight shift, but not so that anyone would notice.

My eldest ds has braces now for the same thing as me. We have been told he will have them for about 1.5 years. I fully expected a retainer afterwards, but not for life! Why would he need it for life when I don't?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now