Talk

Advanced search

Teenager's haircut

(16 Posts)
pixelchick10 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:20:26

How much does your teenager pay for their haircut ... my DD just had a cut (straight long hair) and it was £25 for up to 14 yrs - around £10 less than I pay ... not cheap anymore :{ But she wouldn't let me take her to the cheaper local place they get so particular now!!! After 14 years they pay full price which always seems unfair since students with an NUS card often get a discount in salons ...

Innogen Thu 20-Feb-14 18:35:23

Adult prices at 14 is fine IMO. I wouldn't go somewhere cheap for my dd. I wouldn't want a poor, cheap haircut, so I wouldn't inflict one on her either.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 20-Feb-14 18:38:23

I wouldn't pay adult prices. Dd goes to supercuts - think its 20 quid

If she wanted a 'style' rather than a haircut she can have that when she has a job.

MrsDavidBowie Thu 20-Feb-14 18:44:04

Our local Headmasters charged by age until they were about 15.
Did 17 now goes where I go..she has long straight hair and has it cut about 3 times a year .she gets 30% off as a student so I pay about £30 for her.

Travelledtheworld Thu 20-Feb-14 20:35:35

We have a brilliant local hairdressers and the male owner was trained at Vidal Sassoon. We can all get a dry cut for £11.50.

Cut and blow dry is £ 29.95 !

And we are in the South of England.

chocoluvva Fri 21-Feb-14 00:03:59

DS14 - mop of curly hair - goes with a tenner and takes it out of his pocket as he's heading for the till. Not sure if the hairdresser would ask for more than that if she thought he might have more cash on him.

DD17 pays £25 for a wet cut of her long wavy hair. Fortunately she only goes about once every three months as she can trim her fringe nicely by herself.

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 21-Feb-14 00:10:41

£22 for my 17 year old for a 'restyle' (grown out Bob to asymmetric layered look). Just dry cut. Our hairdresser doesn't do adult/child prices though, my 11 year old cost £18 last week for hers.

fieldfare Fri 21-Feb-14 00:12:50

I think the last time dd had hers cut was about £25 and she's 11, mine's normally about £40. I refuse to scrimp on a haircut, why should I expect to do the same with her hair? We haven't had it cut since September though and both of our hair is still a nice shape, no straggly bits or split ends and looks tidy.

Caoilainn Fri 21-Feb-14 00:22:33

DS goes to a barber, gets the cut he likes, costs £8 including tip. They also shave & trim face & neck hair (DS 17). He goes every 8 weeks but they will trim for free in between.
I live in SE, my hairdresser appointments are ridiculous, £90 for cut and colour, local place.
The barber treats DS like one of the family, hairdressers treat me like shit on their shoe!

trader21c Fri 21-Feb-14 02:17:15

I agree that teenagers should be paying less than a full adult cut - and as you say, when they are university/college students they'll get a discount with an NUS card whereas our teenagers are 'inbetweenies' - too old to be 'children' (although that's what they are, albeit on the verge of adulthood) and too young to get the benefits of being a student ... these salons that charge full whack are obviously expecting the bank of mum and dad to pay out which I refuse to do!! I think £25 is the most I would pay for my DC to have a cut and that sounds quite a lot ...

Chopchopbusybusy Fri 21-Feb-14 11:34:27

I use to take my DDs to a salon and paid £25 each for cut and blow dry. I now get one of our neighbours who is a mobile hairdresser to do it. She charges £5 for a wet cut - I pay her £6.
I pay ££££s for my own hair cuts but my hair has a style whereas I was paying £25 for a barely noticeable trim on long straight hair for the DDs.

yourlittlesecret Fri 21-Feb-14 16:28:02

DS1(18) goes to a barber and pays £7
DS2 (15) won't risk the barber and goes to my hairdresser and they charge £8 for under 16s. Last time he went to pay she was a bit hmm when he said he was 15, (he is 6'2").

It's a bit like clothing and bus fares. I think it's grossly unfair that a child who happens to grow tall has to pay the same as an adult even though they have no income and are still at school.

OddBoots Fri 21-Feb-14 16:34:14

My dd has long straight hair, she just likes the ends trimmed a few times a year so I do it for her, ds prefers a shortish clipper cut which he mostly does himself and I do around his ears. They have a choice but this is what they'd rather do.

Eastpoint Fri 21-Feb-14 21:22:24

The chain Rush charges £15 (cut & blowdry) for teens in London. They gave me a free cup of coffee & 2 biscuits too.

We used to go to Headmasters but they now charge more for over 14s. It was £39 for a cut & blow dry for dd1 the last time we went there.

trader21c Sat 22-Feb-14 02:36:04

Oh thanks Eastpoint ... That's a good deal with Rush although their website says nothing about it?? Only mentions 'children's cuts up to 14' for £20 ... which one did you go to?

Eastpoint Sat 22-Feb-14 09:28:32

The one in W4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now