Talk

Advanced search

would these a levels be good enough for my dd to apply to obxridge?

(13 Posts)
rightsaidfreddy Thu 13-Feb-14 19:34:43

She really wants to apply to obxridge to study English and her definite options are: English literature, religious studies, classical civilisation, and then for the fourth one its between history, government and politics or french. What do you think?

rightsaidfreddy Thu 13-Feb-14 19:35:00

A level subjects *

Chottie Thu 13-Feb-14 19:52:47

Have a look at their websites. There is lots of information about extra curricular activities as well.

AHardDaysWrite Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:22

The Classical Civilisation is the one I'd check. Other options will be fine.

cathyandclaire Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:50

I think History and French are in the "facilitating subjects" list, so in general better thought of than Politics, otherwise looks good to me (but I only know from googling and Mumsnet grin )

virelai Thu 13-Feb-14 19:57:48

I'm an Oxbridge admissions tutor for English. Those A-level choices, as you can see from the Faculty webpage (link below), are absolutely fine. Of the three choices for the fourth A-level, all would have their merits. A language is great, History very useful, likewise Politics and Govt, as they are all essay based subjects (hence they are what Cambridge calls 'facilitating subjects').

www.english.ox.ac.uk/prospective-undergraduates/admissions

rootypig Thu 13-Feb-14 19:59:53

I would keep up the French! Lovely to have a second language and English at Oxford isn't actually English for about a year

Travelledtheworld Thu 13-Feb-14 20:01:11

I am sure all of the above are an acceptable choice but she needs to be aiming to get A's in all of them.

Isn't there someone at school who can advise her ?

Plenty of information on the Oxford website.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/english_language_and_literature/english_language_a_2.html

virelai Thu 13-Feb-14 20:01:28

Having checked the Cambridge list, I'm surprised to see that RS and CC are on the list, but G&P is not. I am certain though that in my college we would not feel that G&P was a weaker choice. In fact I did English, French and Politics for my own A-levels, back in the day!

Travelledtheworld Thu 13-Feb-14 20:01:52

www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/english_language_and_literature/english_language_a_2.html

Sorry the link should be above.

KayleeFrye Thu 13-Feb-14 20:02:47

History or French definitely. Government and Politics is on the oxbridge "B" list which means that they are a little bit sniffy about it but will grudgingly accept it. French would be best as it would show an aptitude for languages and the (Oxford) English literature course involves learning Anglo Saxon. However, as she is already taking 3 A-list subjects it's OK for the 4th to be a little less rigorous if she really wants to.

You can see a list of A, B and C list subjects here

rightsaidfreddy Thu 13-Feb-14 20:44:55

Okay thanks very much everybody, will let her know they're pretty much fine smile

rootypig Thu 13-Feb-14 22:40:43

I did G&P in a year as an 'extra' a level, it was a piece of piss. Content should be taught to all in gen studies / citizenship. At a level her brain is t peak fitness, tell her not to waste her time! [projects own regrets]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now