Talk

Advanced search

Son has told me he is Bi

(13 Posts)
JackTheSparrow Wed 12-Feb-14 20:47:00

My son came out today as Bi! I took the news as a shock but how can I make sure our relationship is the same. I still love him. I used to buy him lads mags and items but should I buy him the other kind or non at all?

Pointeshoes Wed 12-Feb-14 20:51:20

Let him buy his own magazines.

AlienInScoltand Wed 12-Feb-14 20:52:45

Its a minefield eh! Its great though that he felt able to tell you this, as it would have taken him lots of courage! As the mother of a gay son, once you digest and register what he has said, you will discover yourself that it makes no difference; just make sure that your rules etc stay the same so he still feels secure. Sometimes, I think teenagers need to feel more secure than they did when they were babies! As for the lads mags etc, why don't you suggest buying him a subscription to one, and ask him if there is any he would like?

JackTheSparrow Wed 12-Feb-14 20:56:13

Hi! I am his dad. His mother left when he was a baby. I feel very happy that he has told me. I will talk to him and say the rules have to be the same. I am not sure if you can get a subscription to them types of mags...?

BadlyStuffedWalrus Wed 12-Feb-14 21:00:09

Just give him some cash to buy his own mags. He's still the same person. Just be delighted that he's happy to share this with you. That says volumes about your relationship with him.

JackTheSparrow Wed 12-Feb-14 21:01:23

I am so happy that he told me! I thought he was in trouble at first but then he broke the news. I really would have never guessed he was Bi to be honest!

AuditAngel Wed 12-Feb-14 21:02:53

It speaks volumes for your relationship that he is able to tell you.

Tell him you still love him. Tell him this is new to you and you may need his help. I agree the rules should stay the same.

AlienInScoltand Wed 12-Feb-14 21:04:43

thats wonderful you have such a good relationship with him! I guess the only thing you can do about the magazines is ask him? keep honest and open lines available, and with my son, we tell him that no matter what he does, we can sort it and we will help him. I think that helps! Although, I have to say that my youngest says Lady Gaga is his mother monster - I am just the wifey stuck with him until he gets to move in with Gaga! they don't tell you about the minefield of the emotional hairy teenager in the baby parenting classes do they!

JackTheSparrow Wed 12-Feb-14 21:06:39

Yah! We have all ways been very close. He likes very strange music I must add! I was wondering about the talk he will know about sex but should I say about if he was to do it with a man or leave it?

evelynj Wed 12-Feb-14 21:07:01

Good work. He would probably be delighted to know that your main concern is what magazine to buy him now. That is just lovely. Agree with pp. Good luck ;)

AlienInScoltand Wed 12-Feb-14 21:08:55

We sat our son down and talked to him about it - so much to his horror! It turned out he already knew alot of it, but we talked to him about safe sex and stuff like that. I have never seen someone as beetroot as he was, but he took on board what we said. Your son is so lucky to have such a caring dad who wants to support him in this way!

JackTheSparrow Wed 12-Feb-14 21:11:25

My son is 16 so he will know about sex. He is not a virgin but I don't want him to get into any dodgy situations with a boy.

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Feb-14 16:15:06

Hi all,

Thanks for your sensitive responses to the OP. Unfortunately it turns out they aren't genuine, but we're sure that any genuine poster would be really reassured by your great advice.

We're going to zap the thread shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now