Talk

Advanced search

Argh!! Prom dress nightmare??

(22 Posts)
sinningsaint Tue 04-Feb-14 16:44:46

My 16 y/o DD is in Y11 with prom coming up in June. Recently started looking at prom dresses online but as we are taking a trip into London this weekend told her not to order anything. Anyway she completely ignored me and ordered herself this http://www.coast-stores.com/lauder-jersey-maxi-dress//coast/fcp-product/2310005380 dress from coast in the sale. She absolutely loves it but I stupidly gave her an honest opinion and said I didn't like it as it was unflattering IMO (made her average sized boobs look huge). She has now been in a terrible mood since it arrived yesterday as she feels she has no choice but to send it back and so now need to get somewhere in London where I am guaranteed to find her a dress she will love! She is paying with savings and is willing to spend up to around £170-80 but wants it to be as cheap as possible as is also saving up for Leeds fest! Any recommendations of places to try? Was thinking kings road/oxford street, possibly brick lane for a 50's style vintage dress (or is there no point??) and someone also recommended Fonthill Road, is it worth a try? Thanks.

Mumzy Tue 04-Feb-14 17:13:22

I think the dress she ordered is beautiful and quite modest so not sure where your concerns are coming from. I'd let her keep it and use the day in Lindon to see a show and get her some accessories. But then I'm fom the school of parenting which picks their battles.

Impatientismymiddlename Tue 04-Feb-14 17:16:55

That dress is lovely and very modest. She has saved up and bought herself a lovely dress for prom so I'm not surprised that she is upset by your comments.
I think the best thing that you can do is try to make it up to her by telling her that you wanted to treat her to a dress for prom and was a bit upset that she had already got one, but are happy to go and buy her a new one (with your money) or buy her some accessories to go with the current dress.

MrsBright Tue 04-Feb-14 17:21:01

It's SO easy to dent confidence without meaning to .... I'd also suggest you gloss over the dress issue, and tell her you are so proud of her doing that bit on her own/with her own ££, that you'll buy her some appropriate glitter/bling or shoes or hair-do to go with it

somedizzywhore1804 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:24:38

If she likes 50s style try Vivienne of Holloway in Holloway. I can't link as on phone but dresses are lovely and inexpensive.

Google it- easy to find.

Olivegirl Tue 04-Feb-14 18:21:29

Love this dress both my dds have seen it (18&16yrs) and they say it's lovely...both had their proms over the last two consecutive years. My dd2 had a similar dress from mango about same price but in a red colour.
Tell her it's lovely ��

Olivegirl Tue 04-Feb-14 18:24:04

Also proms are a nightmare ...in my day it was a school leaving disco coke and a bag of crisps ��

dexter73 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:16:48

I would imagine she liked the fact that it made her boobs look huge. It's a shame she feels like she has to send it back as it is a gorgeous dress.

stickydate65 Wed 05-Feb-14 16:45:07

I'm with others... This dress is beautiful! But I am also like you and often speak before I've put my brain in gear! Good Luck

HyvaPaiva Wed 05-Feb-14 16:47:50

The dress is lovely!

It's a lovely dress, and one I think she will be able to wear over and again.

ISingSoprano Wed 05-Feb-14 17:18:37

I'm sorry but I think the dress is lovely and very suitable for a 16year old. She is using her own money - I know you don't like it but smile and be proud of her.

rightsaidfrederick Wed 05-Feb-14 17:29:03

I think it's lovely too

hootloop Wed 05-Feb-14 17:38:24

I also think it is a lovely dress. I hope you find something she loves just as much that you approve of.

Dancingqueen17 Wed 05-Feb-14 22:50:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoneyandRum Thu 06-Feb-14 21:19:08

Another one who loves the dress your dd bought.

crazynanna Thu 06-Feb-14 21:22:20

I live near Fonthill Rd...a lot of meringue wedding dresses and outlet shops.
Not sure about Prom type dresses,though, but good value for money

Viviennes in Holloway is also near me, and do some beautiful dresses.

crazynanna Thu 06-Feb-14 21:24:35

Vivien of Holloway

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 06-Feb-14 21:26:17

Dreading littlemissfuckery dragging me around the shops. It's lovely though, not too mature, but elegant.

cuppachai Thu 06-Feb-14 21:31:54

That dress is lovely, so sophisticated compared to some of the hideous prom nightmares you see girls in.

DontmindifIdo Thu 06-Feb-14 21:36:42

that's a lovely dress, being small of nork, what is wrong with looking like you've got big ones? Surely that's a good thing? (I mean, if it made her arse/stomach/arms look big then ok, make the comment, get a different dress, but boobs?)

GiveTwoSheets Fri 07-Feb-14 15:01:48

I love the dress my teen wore similar last year except hers had one shoulder strap and my teen has got huge boobs. I love maxi dresses alot of girls are wearing that style to prom are they are more elegant looking instead of toilet dolly dresses as i call them.

Also coast dresses sell very well on eBay (I'm owner of a few coast dresses, just not ready to part with yet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now