Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Eek! My dd has gone on holiday to Egypt with boyfriend!

(20 Posts)
kansasmum Mon 03-Feb-14 20:33:58

She is 17 and a half and has gone with her lovely boyfriend to Egypt on all inclusive holiday! First time without us parents!
I am nervous but want her to have a good time because she wants to go travelling later this year when she turns 18. She messaged me tonight in tearssad. Felt scared and homesick. She didn't get how the all inclusive thing works and was panicking about that.
Said she wanted to come homesad her boyfriend had fallen asleep so she felt all sad and lonely. Her phone doesn't seem to work so can't call her. She can only get wifi in the lobby.

Hopefully she will feel better in the morning after a decent nights sleep.

Anyone else had their teen go on holiday and experience this?
I could have cried when we stopped messaging. Felt sad that was unhappy.

givemeaclue Mon 03-Feb-14 20:39:36

I think
it is quite unusual for teens to be calling home crying from fab holiday with boyfriend, but also think is unusual for a couple that age to be able to afford such a holiday! Where did they get the money from? Have they been away on their own before? Hope she can get in the holiday groove and enjoy it!

kansasmum Mon 03-Feb-14 20:46:06

She's been saving from her job. Paid for it herself. We've had a difficult time with her but things have been improving recently.
Her boyfriend has been a good influence.
Yes hopefully tomorrow she will feel better about things.

kansasmum Mon 03-Feb-14 20:47:21

Oh and she did only arrive there this evening so hasn't had time to look around or anything!

werenotreallyhere Mon 03-Feb-14 20:50:19

I only have teeny kids (that are never ever going on holiday on their own :-)), but you can get mobile wifi units in Eygpt for not very much, all the excursions places do them, some will deliver to the hotel, one I just found is http://sharmvacations.com/day-tour/holiday-wifi-connect-world/ , take a look on trip advisor for the closest one to your daughter, might make her feel better being less cut off.

werenotreallyhere Mon 03-Feb-14 20:51:30

Sorry messed up link

sharmvacations.com/day-tour/holiday-wifi-connect-world/

It's £20 for a week

SadFreak Mon 03-Feb-14 20:51:37

Its so hard isnt it.

My youngest DD only 12 was in London this weekdend with a lovely family and having a great time but she called me a bit wobbly on Saturday night and it worried me sick. She was fine the next day - she was just over tired at the time.

It may well be tiredness and the fact boyfriend has crashed out and she is probably still got the adrenalin/excitement in her making it hard for her to crash out too, despite being tired. Did they have an early start? Did she sleep well before departing or was she all excited and not well rested.

She will be fine I am sure in a day or 2 when they have found their feet and sussed out the AI and buffets and bars etc.

I dont envy you. I was so stressed out the weekend so have some idea what you are feeling now.

princessalbert Mon 03-Feb-14 20:52:54

She is likely to be tired- and anxious. Travelling can be quite stressful - especially if she hasn't ever had to be in charge previously.

I am sure that once they have had a couple of drinks and a good night's sleep that they will enjoy the holiday.

I holidayed with friends in the UK at 16, and abroad from the age of 17. I don't believe I ever phoned my mum?? (however, this was in the 80s, pre-mobile phone days!)

DS is 16 - I am not sure how he would be on his first holiday abroad - a good reason for me to keep taking him to ensure he knows how it all works!

She'll be fine. Hope the holiday goes well

kansasmum Mon 03-Feb-14 20:59:04

Thank you. I've had a bit of a wobble this evening. She's actually travelled a lot as we lived overseas for 5 years but she's only flown on her own once before and that was from Exeter to Edinburgh I dropped her off and her dad met her the other end! A bit different flying with boyfriend to Egypt!
Thanks for that info about the wifi unit. Will look into it.
Like I said we've had quite a lot of problems with her so seeing her working hard and saving and being so keen to go has been a pleasant change.
She'll have to stick it out so hopefully she will start enjoying it!!

FortyFacedFuckers Mon 03-Feb-14 21:05:30

My DS is only 8 but I remember going on holiday for the first time to the Dominican Republic at 17 and phoned my mum crying on the first night but I had an amazing holiday. I think I was just exhausted after the flight and stressed arriving in such a huge resort not knowing where anything was but the next day I felt totally different I'm sure your dd will too.

kansasmum Mon 03-Feb-14 21:17:17

Thanks Forty- that's reassuring to hear!

chocoluvva Tue 04-Feb-14 09:38:58

IME at 17 they're still not always able to recognise that they're feeling down as a result of being overtired/out of their normal routine with eating, sleeping feeling hot and bothered etc and they suddenly feel overwhelmed.

I'm sure she'll have a lovely time.

mrsjay Tue 04-Feb-14 09:59:18

aww I am sure she will be fine it is all different to her and she has to look after herself and not have you as back up she will settle down i would be rocking if my dd went away at 17 she went with her boyfriend and his parents at 17 so I felt a bit better about it they will be fine she was probably just tired from all the travelling

kansasmum Tue 04-Feb-14 13:32:36

Have had message from her this morning! She's MUCH happier, has sussed out how the AI thing works and sent me a pic of her by the pool!
Feel so relieved!! Sounds like she's having a good time now!

chocoluvva Tue 04-Feb-14 13:55:06

Aww - very pleased for you Kansas smile

mrsjay Tue 04-Feb-14 15:45:31

she would have just been tired and disorientated glad she is having a god time now way to worry you though

specialsubject Tue 04-Feb-14 16:00:30

excellent. Hopefully she's also learnt something - travelling is just a long holiday that you organise yourself, so she needs to take a long look and see if she will get anything out of it.

I was a kid at 18 and wouldn't cope either - and have seen many that don't.

bakeroony Tue 04-Feb-14 16:02:11

I get moody on holiday before I've worked out the lay of the land and I'm 28!!

Glad she's enjoying herself now :D

mrsjay Tue 04-Feb-14 16:03:15

i get a bit tetchy on holiday too for the first day or say I think it is just as bakeroomy said you are finding your feet

kansasmum Tue 04-Feb-14 16:50:32

Yes she said now she's found out about the restaurants and got her towel card sorted etc she us much happier. She's booking up to do a one day PADI intro to diving day and they are both doing a desert safari thing!

They've also got chatting to a couple of girls who are staying along the corridor from them so that's nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now