Talk

Advanced search

Just saw 'my baby' off on work experience

(17 Posts)
WildThong Mon 03-Feb-14 09:17:39

...and despite being almost 6ft tall and almost a man, I could still see the nervous young person inside sad

But I got a hug grin

Custardo Mon 03-Feb-14 09:19:15

AWWWWWWW, they will always be your children, hope everything goes ok.

I chased my son all around the house telling him how much I loved him when he got a job a month ago

he said " mum your weird, stop it, your being weird" smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Feb-14 09:19:41

Oooh I feel for you. That will be me this time next week. He's only 14. <wibble>

What's your Ds doing?

WildThong Mon 03-Feb-14 09:25:13

I think I must have had something in my eye as he left [ blinks furiously]
He got a place in a dental surgery for the week, just observing and helping out at reception mostly.

WildThong Mon 03-Feb-14 09:26:04

Yes, he's only 15 too, so young!

GlitzAndGiggles Mon 03-Feb-14 09:28:46

I think work experience was the only time my dad hugged me before leaving! It was in a hairdressers I loved it and got my hair blowdried and styled everyday for free smile. That was probably their way of telling me I looked like shit looking back now lol. Hope your DS enjoys it!

PiggyPlumPie Mon 03-Feb-14 09:31:19

My baby did that last Monday on her 15th birthday. By Friday she was texting me about the awful traffic like a seasoned commuter!

WildThong Mon 03-Feb-14 09:31:25

glitz that's a lovely memory! Maybe DS will come home with whitened teeth grin << like these.

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Feb-14 09:35:55

It will probably be a real eye opener in terms of dental hygiene Wild-you will all be getting a lecture. grin

Olivegirl Mon 03-Feb-14 14:34:58

I remember dd1 did yr10 work experience in boots chemist
I remember having to go into boots at every opportunity (for a browse) and watch her quietly from a distance with tears in my eyes ...I felt proud at how lovely she looked and how well she interacted with customers ... Smugly patted myself on the back and cried

Sparklingbrook Tue 04-Feb-14 10:42:57

How did it go Wild?

WildThong Wed 05-Feb-14 10:37:02

Thanks for askingsmile
Went quite well I think. He has been telling me about the importance of the correct level of pain relief and decontaminating instruments so some of it is sinking in. More importantly, the dental nurses are "tiny" apparently and took him to Gregg's for lunch so he's well in there!
One of the elderly patient misunderstood DS role and commented that "dentists are getting younger these days" grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Feb-14 10:39:20

That's great. grin is he thinking of a career in dentistry? <arf> at 'young dentists'.

WildThong Wed 05-Feb-14 10:44:21

It is something he has been talking about, but I think it's one of the most difficult Uni courses to access so we'll just need to wait and see how the exams go. What's your DS doing next week?

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Feb-14 10:47:27

He's in an office, that does Media and Marketing. It does a lot of business in Germany which is what DS is interested in. One of the employees is German so I am hoping he can have a practice with his speaking.

I think for me it will be good for him to have a taste of office life. He may come back and say 'nope-I want an outdoorsy job after all'. grin

WildThong Wed 05-Feb-14 10:51:56

Ooh, that sounds good for your DS. Good luck for next week, come back and update?

Sparklingbrook Wed 05-Feb-14 10:59:37

Thanks, yes I will. I will be here having a wibble I expect. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now