Advanced search

In need of advice - help!

(7 Posts)
nikkinoo70 Wed 13-Nov-13 10:34:23

Hello, I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction regarding my 16 year old daughter, she does everything she shouldn't do and I'm so worried about the path she is taking. She self harms and is on anti depressants, she's in love with a boy that is just using her, but she is unwilling to listen to anything anyone has to say. She has recently started making herself sick after everything she eats and drinks, and also told me that last week she took an excess of anti depressants as she felt she 'had nothing to live for' I don't know where to turn or how to deal with these behaviours. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

cory Wed 13-Nov-13 12:56:36

oh nikkinoo, that sounds terribly hard for you both flowers

Is she already seeing CAHMS or are the AD's on prescription from her GP?

If she is seeing CAHMS then I think you need to go back to them and explain that things are getting worse not better, and ask what they think the next step should be. Ask for an emergency appointment. Don't be shy: a suicide attempt is not something to be brushed aside.

If she has only seen the GP, then I would go back there and ask for a referral to CAHMS. Tell him it's urgent.

Is she still attending school? They might be able to help with counselling there, and they might also be able to speed up a referral. Let them know what is going on.

In the meantime, keep reassuring your dd, show her that you understand she is in a bad place and that it must be horrible for her, but that you are convinced that something can be done and that she won't have to live with these bad feelings.

My dd took an overdose of antidepressants 10 months ago. She is now back in fulltime education, with a good group of friends, lots of interesting things going on in her life and good hope for the future. She is not cured: she knows she will probably have to live with anxiety and mental frailty all her life. But she also believes she will be able to manage.

Palika Wed 13-Nov-13 15:31:05

Sorry to hear this - it's sounds very worrying.
You can also try the school nurse - they can then organise counselling.

Cory, sorry to hear you had to go through all this, too. I wish you both much strength to deal with this.

nikkinoo70 Thu 14-Nov-13 22:03:38

Thank you for the advice:-) she was seeing camhs until earlier this year, it didn't seem to help, the ad are prescribed by the gp. She is at college and is really struggling with attendance, ringing social services was suggested to me, does anyone think this would be helpful?

cory Thu 14-Nov-13 23:37:43

We had help from SS; they run a kind of community group together with CAHMS, and were very helpful. Even if they don't have anything to offer themselves, they might have contacts and know of things.

Basically, if I were you I'd be exploring any avenues I could think of. as the college for help as well.

flow4 Fri 15-Nov-13 10:15:10

nikki, I'm sorry you're going through this. Go back to CAMHS. If you can't go direct, go back to your GP and tell them what you've told us. I think she'll be seen urgently... If she took an overdose and is expressing suicidal thoughts, this means things have changed and got worse for her, and you don't need me to tell you it's potentially dangerous. Good luck.

nikkinoo70 Sat 16-Nov-13 05:46:57

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice, I have made her an appointment with the gp so will see what he recommends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now