Talk

Advanced search

16yr old bedtime

(28 Posts)
Roses12s Wed 19-Jun-13 13:55:12

What's a normal time for teenagers to go to sleep in summer holidays? My son wants to stay up till 4am but I think that's unreasonable? I'm at work by day so he also not getting up till noon. No drug issues.

orangeandemons Thu 20-Jun-13 09:48:07

What's the problem? Ds was like, now at uni and still like it. He leads a nocturnal life and good on him. If they can't do it at 16 when can they? It's better than being out until all hours, at least you know where they are....

madeofkent Sat 22-Jun-13 22:57:24

So glad to see that I'm not the only one fuming when all the lights are left on. Mine gets up at 9 or 10am, eats a first breakfast - and goes back to bed! He sleeps like the dead as soon as his head touches the pillow, I am so jealous. He goes upstairs at around 10.30pm but his light is still on when I go up half an hour later. If he stays up to watch a film I know all the lights will be on, and evidence of a fridge raid left out. His big sister could easily sleep until 1pm. There was a survey done on it about 10 years ago, it's perfectly normal and in some countries they do start school later for teens. They found that results were better when they did. The worry here is that parents go off to work at around 8am but the teens then wouldn't bother going in to school at 10am.

TheEarlOf Sat 22-Jun-13 23:07:38

Here we go www.standard.co.uk/news/education/experts-support-school-starting-later-so-pupils-can-wake-up-8539114.html

The UCL ACademy even starts late because teenagers work better on that cycle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now