Sexting

(8 Posts)
Jimalfie Fri 24-May-13 16:56:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 24-May-13 18:43:46

chocoluvva Fri 24-May-13 22:01:48

I'm fairly sure it's illegal.

Imagine if either of them screenshotted the photos. Do you think she's considered this? She probably has no idea of the possible consequences and is thoroughly enjoying this naughty way of having a giggle (as you say).

Will she go mad if you tell her you sneeked a peak at her phone?

Could you pretend you'd read an article or heard something on the news about the possible consequences of sexting perhaps?

Apparently it's very common. (Once I had to borrow my then 15YO DD's phone to make a call when mine was out of charge and I grabbed the opportunity to have a quick peep... my shy, gentle daughter had been having a very saucy conversation with her boyfriend.)

I sympathise with you. Mobiles surely are a mixed blessing....

ValentineWiggins Fri 24-May-13 22:11:04

We had a talk at school about this - it is illegal. Whoever takes the photo is "creating an indecent image of a minor" as well as possessing and distributing the image. You need to talk to your DD about this (without saying you've seen it). Also point out that once a picture is sent she has NO control over what happens to it....and that way lies huge embarrassment at best!

Jimalfie Fri 24-May-13 22:41:33

chocoluvva Sat 25-May-13 12:10:38

I'm sure it is her way of safely exploring as you say. It does sound very educational! Not that I'd be relaxed if I found that on my DC's phones - I'd not feel kindly disposed to the senders of the photos.

It's so difficult for teenagers to look ahead to the consequences of their actions. I suppose sexting is so common now that when the teens of today are adults looking back at their youth they'll all just laugh when they recall sending explicit snapchats in the way that we now laugh about passing notes to boys in the classroom or filling our jotters with doodles of inappropriate images. We cringe at the possible risk of embarrassment of sexting and worry that it indicates depravity, in the same way that our parents did if we were spotted snogging in a public place (or something similar - not sure if that's the best example IYSWIM). A generational difference maybe.

Do you pay for her phone contract? Could you threaten to stop as a deterrent?

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 11:29:09

I get that it is illegal, but I was doing the same things when I was 15 - and I'm now 31!

Have mobile, have teenage hormones, will sext!

It's nothing new, really...

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 11:29:46

Ok, no pictures, but we used webcams instead...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now