Talk

Advanced search

Dd isn't eating

(9 Posts)
Dooohhh Wed 22-May-13 21:00:35

dd is normally a lovely smiley person, but for a few weeks now she hasn't been eating supper properly- taking tiny bites of tiny portions ect. - she is also looking extremely pale and slightly yellow (??) and is also extremely tired.
I also just found out (she left her phone open and got a txt from a friend asking why she never eats lunch or something along those lines) that she never eats lunch so I rang up the school to ask if they had anything to keep a check on if they were eating (ds's school does) but they don't.
I expect what the friend is saying is true but don't know what to do, please help!!!???
(she says she's not dieting)
X

mindfulmum Wed 22-May-13 21:57:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Thu 23-May-13 13:25:43

she's not dieting, she's starving - whether deliberately or due to some physical problem. Yellow isn't good so to the GP ASAP.

Medal Thu 23-May-13 13:35:46

I am sorry to say it sounds like an eating disorder to me. I have seen a close friend go through this, please get her to the GP. Hope she is ok.

We have been through this. Please get help for your dd, will she talk to you about it? School were a great help to us once they knew what was going on.

Meanwhile I would suggest teen vitamins, smoothies, hot choc and leaving healthy nibbles within reach. DD still doesn't eat lunch but she does have cereal bars and smoothies in her school bag if she needs them.

Dooohhh Thu 23-May-13 16:49:44

Thanks for all the kind responses everyone!
I have made an appointment with the GP for Friday and will see how it goes.
Something I am really annoyed about though, and was wandering if any of you feel the same, is how useless the school have been!; when I was asking them if they had any check in place to make sure they were all eating, it was a straight forward NO, when I asked if they could put one in... NO, and when I asked if they could keep a special record on her, NO!! I mean, how difficult would it be?? Especially as this is a highly competitive north London girl's school, and this kind of thing is not exactly a rarity! Even my sons school has one
Sorry for the rant!

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 23-May-13 16:54:55

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about eating disorders without a thorough medical history and examination by a GP. She may be off her food, the 'yellowness' needs to be taken seriously as there are loads of reasons for that which could make her lose her appetite. Please insist that they examine her properly.

Dooohhh Thu 23-May-13 16:56:25

Thank you, will make sure!
X

eatyourveg Fri 24-May-13 14:05:00

ds2 (ASD) refuses to eat when he gets too stressed and has been hospitalised a few times because of it. He does drink though so we keep some maxijul in the cupboard (available to order over the counter from Boots pharmacy) and also give him multivitamin and mineral supplements just to tide him over. He's also had this one from the GP. I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for your dd but thought I'd throw it in as a suggestion.

Hope the GP has something constructive to offer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now