Talk

Advanced search

Teenage boy who has never liked hugs

(8 Posts)
PJM18 Sat 13-Apr-13 00:08:31

Hi. My oldest son is 13 and since he was around 4 or 5 he has not been very affectionate and seems to squirm if he is given a cuddle. It obviously doesn't feel right for him but I feel it's such a shame as I also have 2 younger children who are very affectionate and wish I could be more like this with my older son. It's not just a teenage thing as he has been like this for a long time and just wondered if anyone else had a child like this.
Thanks

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sat 13-Apr-13 00:13:30

I don't like hugs, except with DS and on my terms with DH.

No idea why. I like my personal space.

I have learned to hug certain family & old friends. I can't do the "mwah-mwah" fake kiss thing though.

And I'm not as asc as that sounds!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sat 13-Apr-13 00:52:09

I meant: isn't it just normal for some?
I don't know you could do anything, or even if you should.

sashh Sat 13-Apr-13 08:50:36

I was like this from being a baby. I think some people just don't like hugs/cuddling.

I only learned to put up with hugs when I tarted to learn sign language, Deaf people are very huggy.

lijaco Sat 13-Apr-13 08:57:44

I don't like cuddles either, too much physical contact lol. It makes me feel uncomfortable like an invasion of personal space. Having said that I have had two teenage boys who didn't like cuddles. They are now in there twenties and they do it now. So it could change. I do also but find it hard.

pharaohmum Sat 13-Apr-13 18:15:30

I don't particularly like hugs, I do like my own space and my DS, now 15, has never been able to hold my hand, even as a toddler he would squirm his way out of having his hand held and I had to hold his sleeve instead. It's just the way people are I suppose. He doesn't let me hug him now of course, he'd rather chew his own arm off than give me a hug but he was ok with hugs as he was growing up. We are strange aren't we!

wanderings Sun 14-Apr-13 23:30:36

He may discover it later. I was a huggy child, got embarrassed about it as a teenager, but then rediscovered how nice it was in my early 20s.

flow4 Mon 15-Apr-13 08:32:53

Yes, my DS2 is a bit like this too. It makes me sad, sometimes, but I figure I just have to be grown-up about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now