Talk

Advanced search

12 year old DS is having braces fitted this afternoon

(10 Posts)
Hopasholic Wed 10-Apr-13 12:57:28

Any tips? They are upper and lower removable ones initially until he has tracks fitted in 9months time. The orthodontist has said they're 'tricky' to wear and my DS does not cope well with pain!

Not sure what to expect really and wonder if it's advisable to give him some paracetamol prior to the fitting appointment.

IslaValargeone Wed 10-Apr-13 13:00:29

My dc has an appliance that sounds similar to the one your ds is having.
They are slightly uncomfortable at first and if he has to eat in them be prepared for some messy eating and slurping while he adapts.
Speech might be quite lispy at first but you'll be amazed at how quickly he will cope.
Don't give paracetamol, that's not necessary and will only make it more of a big deal than it really is.

marriednotdead Wed 10-Apr-13 13:17:03

If they are the ones I'm thinking, they have blocks in the side to push the upper or lower jaw forward- DS had them. The first couple of days were uncomfortable and he spent the first half hour trying not to gag, as they are quite bulky. It's amazing how quickly they get used to them though, so try not to worry. DS has a very low pain threshold but he was fine. I'd forgotten the lisp!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Apr-13 13:21:28

If its twin blocks, they aren't painful (though they can be achy making) they are just bloody awkward at first. He really really needs to persist, bribery might be helpful! Talking and eating are tricky, but if he overcomes that they can make such a fab difference. Dd had them before her train tracks and has beautiful teeth now and reckons it was all worth it.

Hopasholic Wed 10-Apr-13 13:26:13

Thank you, that's reassuring, yes they are ones to push his jaw forward.

Hopasholic Wed 10-Apr-13 16:23:40

Well we're back. It is mahoosive! Bless him, he's doing ok though. I was surprised at just how bulky it is and when we got home he took it out to show me and his jaw really ached from taking it out so I'm sure he'll get used to it.

IslaValargeone Wed 10-Apr-13 16:51:41

Glad it went well. Yes it is bulky. We felt so sorry for our dc when she had them fitted and she looked very Bruce Forsyth with a jutting jaw, although the orthodontist assured us this was only a temporary look in order to push the jaw forwards.
Hopefully we only have a few months to go until we get the train tracks.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Apr-13 16:59:28

The chin issue does resolve itself grin

ellenbrody Wed 10-Apr-13 20:11:22

My DD just wanted soup, porridge, rice pudding etc for a bit, so she took a flask to school. She's ok now ( it's been about 3 weeks) but complains of aching on Sundays when they're tightened.
No paracetamol though.

Hopasholic Thu 11-Apr-13 00:45:54

It's not stopped him talking though! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now