Talk

Advanced search

Too much study

(4 Posts)
SWDares Thu 04-Apr-13 18:08:00

My daughter is studying hard for her AS levels, she won't listen to our advice about exercise, fresh air or nutrition, barely sleeps and won't leave the house, turning down family functions and get togethers which would give her a short break. She's doing well at school, but at what cost? She looks ill and seems depressed, never thought I'd be encouraging her to go out! Anyone else have the same problems?

chocoluvva Thu 04-Apr-13 19:32:10

No. I have the opposite problem.

Perhaps you could persuade her that a healthy lifestyle will help her cognitive/exam performance. Healthy mind in a healthy body.

Make sure she takes a good quality mulit-vitamin supplement for women of child-bearing age.

schoolchauffeur Fri 05-Apr-13 08:03:03

Agree- look on internet for all the study tips sites- they all say the same thing- bursts of work, exercise, relaxing breaks seeing friends etc
My DD went a bit work mad last Easter- didn't think too much of it to be honest as she had spent a week away on a school trip, so she had a lot to do in the remaining 2 weeks, but she wouldn't do anything else. As it turned out she was struggling in one of her subjects, got completely stressed out and made a mess of several papers which she had to re-do in January.

This year she remembers what happened and has taken a much more measured approach- listing all the things she really needs to do, allocating them between the days available, slotting in "fun days" etc and she is much more productive as she is enjoying each session she is doing, and then moving on to have a treat- even if its only spending half an hour in the kitchen making a really elaborate hot chocolate!

All the revision tips etc tell you that hours and hours over the books do not work- there needs to be a balance and time away for your brain to absorb the information.

BackforGood Fri 05-Apr-13 21:19:42

I think being 16 / 17 , and listening to advice from your parents rarely go together. I know they don't in this house, but our problems go a bit deeper than too much study. envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now