Talk

Advanced search

Work Experience - anyone got anything planned this June?

(9 Posts)
Milliways Tue 09-May-06 16:14:33

DD is working at a Primary school for her week, and annoyed that she didn't get a place at the BBC Monitoring service.

Anyone get anything exciting?

tomal Wed 10-May-06 20:14:18

Yes my 15year old DS is going to working with a carpenter for two weeks in June. He hasn't decided what he wants to do when he's older, so we arranged for him to do something that wouldn't allow him to become bored! I think if he'd gone in an office he would have moaned the whole fortnight!!

chestnutty Sun 14-May-06 22:16:01

Dd going to work in a trendy clothes shop in July. She's happy about it . Lomg days though 9 -5.45.

Milliways Mon 15-May-06 21:51:48

The ones who get shop work usually have a great time as they can see Purchasing, display work, staff rotas etc etc, and does them well for Saturday jobs when they are old enough

DD did her DofE Service at a local nursery. They offered her an after school job as they thought she was 16. She may well take them up on it next year.

alibubbles Tue 16-May-06 09:58:51

DD did hers with a barrister, she went to some really juicy court cases in London, followed by greasy spoon fry ups!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 16-May-06 10:46:05

DS will be working at our local commercial radio station.

Auntymandy Wed 17-May-06 06:39:22

I cant get DS motivated! He is hoping to work with his Dad I dont want him to!!

Auntymandy Wed 17-May-06 06:39:52

his isnt until October though!

Lilymaid Sat 27-May-06 19:10:46

DS did his before half term in a building society. He's interested in working in finance and they gave him an interesting week showing him all areas of their work - he wasn't just putting out leaflets all week. Shop work/working in cafes etc can be exploitation unless they want to use it in order to get a Saturday job. But surely it is better for them to get some experience in the sort of work they are interested in rather than work that they can do to earn money in their student days?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: