Talk

Advanced search

what contraception?

(17 Posts)
winnie Fri 05-May-06 16:51:32

ok... spurred on by another thread I am curious.
What contraception would you advise your dd to take at 16 if she is in a relationship having sex and is already using condoms?

batters Fri 05-May-06 16:59:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

serenity Fri 05-May-06 17:11:47

Pill too.

I think the mini Pill is a lot better now. My GP tells me that the window to take it in is now 12 hours, rather than the 'same time every day' which it was when I was that age. AFAIK the mini Pill doesn't have as many of the risks of the other one.

DD is only 2.5 atm, so hopefully there'll be something 100% safe and reliable by then

winnie Fri 05-May-06 17:46:26

Thanks batters & serenity.

For health reasons I have never been able to take the pill so all my knowedge of it is quite negative.

Biggest draw back, I imagine, is teenager forgetting to take it.

has anyone had any experience of implants?

serenity Fri 05-May-06 18:40:48

I'd be wary of implants tbh. I had the injection and it made me very ill and I'd worry the implant would have the same effect. Obviously DD might not have the same problems, but I wouldn't feel able to recommend something I could get on with.

I've just gone back on the pill after being on it for 8 yrs prior to having DC. I went on it at 17 (after a termination, was using condoms but obviously not very well) and had no problems at all. I'd imagine it made my Mum a lot happier!

serenity Fri 05-May-06 18:41:12

couldn't of course

kama Fri 05-May-06 18:45:34

Message withdrawn

Blandmum Fri 05-May-06 18:53:31

One which is not recomended is the IUD if a woman hasn't had children or someone who isn't in a reasonably stable relationship (due to increased risk of pelvic infections)

spursmum Fri 05-May-06 18:54:03

Can I give another suggestion?
I have a memory like a sieve so my doctor suggested using patches. They have them same hormones as the pill but are absorbed through the skin and only need to be replaced once a week.
Works like a dream for me as i could never remember to take the pill but now I just program my mobile to remind me!!!

winnie Fri 05-May-06 18:58:25

spursmum, programming a mobile to remind you seems like the ideal way to remind a teenager

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Piffle Fri 05-May-06 19:07:38

I think the pill, I found it good at that age as it helped regulate my cycles. I never missed it, I did not take it because I was sexually active a it happened, it was cos my cycles were so painful.
I have heard a lot of people gained weight or had side effects with the implant and epo, at least with an implant you can take it out though...

winnie Fri 05-May-06 21:55:27

Tortington Fri 05-May-06 22:22:53

theres a patch now?

god i'm old

ItalianJob Fri 05-May-06 22:29:52

The Pill - sorts your periods out too, and is easily reversible, unlike injection or implants. At the very least implants/depo injection are highly likely to cause a lot of spotting/irregular bleeding the first few months, and of course could possibly have worse side effects. If it was a choice between injection or implants I would go for injection, as she wouldn't have to ask for it to be physically removed if she didn't like the side effects, unlike implants.

grumpyfrumpy Sun 07-May-06 20:00:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winnie Sun 07-May-06 21:17:33

grumpyfrumpy, thanks for the link.

dizietsma Tue 06-Jun-06 21:41:38

I would never recommend hormonal contraception to my DD, as they have seriously f*cked up my health. For safer sex reasons alone I would strongly push condoms. Problems with condoms, as I'm sure we're all aware, is that they get "forgotton" sometimes in the heat of the moment. For this reason I plan on keeping a stash of the morning after pill in the house when DD becomes sexually active.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: