Advanced search

Anyone with a 17 year old driver?

(6 Posts)
Rainbowinthesky Sat 02-Feb-13 11:01:50

Thanks for quick replies. Thingummybob- I think you are right re fronting. Lots of my friends 20 years ago had their own cars and we must all have done it that way. It was no big deal.
No way am I buying him a car and the car would be my car. Can't afford much for a car anyway. I am imagining him using it once a fortnight or driving himself to and from gym when I am not using it.

ThingummyBob Sat 02-Feb-13 10:44:46

Its perfectly legal to have him as a named driver if he is borrowing your car to use.

What isn't on is know as 'fronting' which is where a parent claims to be the main driver, but actually it is the teenagers car in all but insurance/registration doc.

It used to be very common back in the day, and people were very open about it. I remember all my friends being named on parents insurace for their first cars.

Tbh I did it really, only recently. I was named driver on family car (Ex was main driver) but he very rarely used the car. It was just much cheaper that way round and I'm not sure how it could be 'proved' that I was 'main' driver and not him.
When we split I got my own insurance and it was just over £1600 for the first year. I was 36 and had held my licencse for 5 years at that point, i can't imagine how much the insurance is for a 17 year old shock

CunfuddledAlways Sat 02-Feb-13 10:43:20

as long as he has passed and is not main driver you can just add him onto your insurance, although the cost will go up!!

if it is his car which he mainly drives policy HAS to be in his name but he can add on you as a second driver, he may find this brings down the cost.

i would look for a second hand 1.2 car as they tend to have the lowest premiums etc and wouldnt buy a brand new one as it may get a few scrapes/bumps with a new driver

Lifeisontheup Sat 02-Feb-13 10:41:25

The smallest engine possible! Not only will it be cheaper to insure but will go some way towards preventing him going mad with his mates. Don't get one because he thinks it looks cool in fact get one he thinks is too embarrassing for his friends. Many of the teen accidents happen with a car full of mates showing off.

landofsoapandglory Sat 02-Feb-13 10:40:51

If you buy a car that he can learn in, look at learner drivers insurance. We put DS1 on our Polo for 24 weeks (although he passed in 14) for about£300 with Collingwood learner drivers insurance.

Now he has passed his test he is in our insurance and it has pushed the premium up to over £2k! If he has his own car, or is the main driver, the insurance has to be in his name, otherwise of he has an accident they won't pay out!

Rainbowinthesky Sat 02-Feb-13 10:36:45

Ds is now 17 and so we have entered the world of teenage driving. Been a while since I was 17 myself but when I was I bought a car for £50 off my boyfriend and got it insured. Doesn't seem so simple now and I am wondering if my old car was actually done in a parents name.
What do people do? We are about to buy another car as just sold one so want to buy one he can be insured on? What sort of car are we realistically looking at? I would be the main user of the car but would like ds to have the option of borrowing it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: