Talk

Advanced search

This should probably be in book section but can anyone recommend fab non-fiction book for 12 yr old boy please?

(14 Posts)
strictlycaballine Wed 17-Oct-12 11:09:11

I feel badly about this but I have very little idea of his interests so looking for something which has general appeal

Any ideas gratefully received

strictlycaballine Wed 17-Oct-12 11:17:58

oh and just realised a 12 yr old isn't a teenager either (sorry - brain dead this morning blush) but he is probably reading at a level slightly in advance of his age

strictlycaballine Wed 17-Oct-12 13:03:28

any thoughts please?

strictlycaballine Wed 17-Oct-12 13:16:50

Ok will move to book section ...

Astelia Thu 18-Oct-12 03:54:26

Guinness Book of Records usually goes down well.

Astelia Thu 18-Oct-12 03:55:18

Or a subscription to "How it Works" magazine? My nephews love this.

ScarePhyllis Thu 18-Oct-12 04:08:41

I was never a 12 year old boy, but maybe one of those books on survival in various kinds of wildernesses? I went through a period of being obsessed with them around that age.

3nationsfamily Thu 18-Oct-12 14:28:38

Top Gear annual or anything related to Top Gear usually goes down well with that agegroup.

strictlycaballine Thu 18-Oct-12 22:13:45

Thanks Astelia didn't realise 'How it Works' comes in magazine form - will investigate

Yes, good idea, I also went through that phase ScarePhyllis and I think 12 is probably optimum age for that sort of thing

I think 'Top Gear' probably would be a popular choice unfortunately thanks 3nations smile not too sure if he is in to cars but will find out for next year

Thanks again everyone! Have ordered now but am watching this thread so I will have the info on hand for next birthday, next Christmas etc etc.

sassytheFIRST Thu 18-Oct-12 22:15:44

Bear grylls autobiog
Biogs of people he is interested in - sportsmen etc
Guinness book records and Ripleys Believe it or not books

Bromptonaut Thu 18-Oct-12 22:48:00

What are his interests?

Biog of one of his football/music or whatever heroes?

When I was that age wartime stuff like The Wooden Horse or biogs of flyers like Bader, Tuck or Cheshire fitted bill but world has moved on since 72.

shineygoldpenny Thu 18-Oct-12 22:58:13

Do Not Open

This book is awesome. You can open it at any page and just start reading, and then there are links all the way through, saying 'now jump to this page', so you don't read it in the traditional manner. ds loved it.

strictlycaballine Fri 19-Oct-12 10:39:50

Thank you Sassy I like the sound of the Bear Grylls book and will investigate Ripley one

Bromptonaut Thanks - I must confess to being out of touch with his interests and out of date in terms of what I used to read too! Intend to be better prepared for next year (and will be, thanks to this thread)

Thank you for link Shiney I'll make a note of that one too - it looks really entertaining

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate you taking the time to post. Much better prepared for next year now!

thepoodleprincess Thu 01-Nov-12 12:39:34

I'm probably too late. But what about Warhammer magazine subscription. it's called White Dwarf and my 12 year old loves it (he has an advanced reading age too). It may even get him into a new hobby at the same time and keep him off the streets for a bit longer! Who knows huh? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now