Talk

Advanced search

Sensible sex guide for 16 year old DS - any ideas?

(12 Posts)
Triathlonwannabe Mon 08-Oct-12 17:06:38

DS has just started going out with lovely girl who is the same age as him, but "more experienced", according to him.

This is his first relationship and as atm he finds talking to us about anything excruciating, let alone his personal life, I want to pop a book in his room that goes into the nitty-gritty in a bit more detail, hopefully with helpful hints about pleasing your partner, the emotions and etiquette, and with a bit of humour.

We've done all the contaceptive talks and has condoms, so I'm not so worried on that front.

Amazon search just threw up guides to puberty or Christian abstension! Help, please! Someone must have realised that teenage boys need a bit of help here.

flow4 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:15:35

I have an old copy of The Joy of Sex that I pinched from my parents when I was 16 grin... And I recently spotted it in my 17yo DS's room grin

It's very 70s (the sexual politics are definitely old fashioned, tho' not misogynistic)... But I understand it was re-published around 2008 to update it and reflect social changes... And it is a without a doubt a positive celebration of sex - how lovely it can be if you do it right, how everyone needs to enjoy themselves, with lots of practical instructions and pictures! smile

FringeEvent Mon 08-Oct-12 22:20:29

I'd have been mortified if my parents had left a 'sex tips' book in my room for me at age 16 confused

Isn't figuring it out through experience all part of the fun?

Parisbanana Mon 08-Oct-12 22:26:14

This was in the Observer yesterday!

www.guardian.co.uk/culture/gallery/2012/oct/06/ten-best-sex-guides

Not sure whether its helpful or not.

ripsishere Mon 08-Oct-12 22:26:52

I agree with fringe. What a cringer to find a book of sex tips. Exploring together is the way foreword.

flow4 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:28:01

Oh, well, incidentally blush when I was 16/17/18 I can remember sitting looking at it with my boyfriend, learning stuff together, which gave us both a rather lovely introduction to sex grin

slambang Mon 08-Oct-12 22:33:10

Yes, as much as I think it's a lovely open sentiment, isn't it taking helicopter parenting a bit too far?

The human race has discovered how to do it perfectly well for themselves for many millenia.

flow4 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:36:03

I take that point... But my DS shows that teens can be keen to get hold of info... Maybe buy a sex guide for yourself and leave it lying around...?! grin

Triathlonwannabe Mon 08-Oct-12 23:12:33

Thanks so much everyone, for all your comments, really helpful thanks and Parisbanana, thanks for pointing the 10 best list - that's actually what started me off thinking that teenage boys get all the condom stuff but nothing more.

chocoluvva Tue 09-Oct-12 00:32:46

There's a website aimed at under 25s called 'Scarleteen'.
VERY detailed, but sensible.

Triathlonwannabe Tue 09-Oct-12 23:29:17

Thanks, chocoluvva, that is much better than a book for my dyslexic boy who takes in everything much better if it's on a screen! Will recommend to friends. xx

chocoluvva Tue 09-Oct-12 23:36:05

I pointed out the, 'Am I ready to have sex?' quiz to my DD. It has about 50 questions grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now