Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Money

(6 Posts)
noddyholder Sun 23-Sep-12 18:14:43

Ds is 18 in second year of 6th form. He has tried and tried to find a job but there is nothing so many students here and no work it seems. We will have to help him out but I don't want to give him enough to deter job hunting! He has an iphone which we pay for every month and he makes sandwiches for college. We buy all clothes and over the summer have been giving him money as and when but need to stop now. But how much? His college bus is free which is amazing so no fares. He skates a lot and we buy all the stuff and all his clothes

Jobforlife Sun 23-Sep-12 18:41:07

My DD is in a similar position. She is actively seeking work, but isn't getting anywhere. I can't fault her for trying really really hard. Anyway, she has decided that if she can't get paid employment, she will work a few hours in a charity shop. She recognises that this might help her get paid employment ultimately, and won't do her CV any harm...
We've decided to give her a small 'wage' for doing the voluntary work. It's not a lot, but we think it gives her some financial reward for giving up her time. I suppose we look at it as giving directly to the charity concerned!

noddyholder Sun 23-Sep-12 19:20:42

We suggested that about a year ago and got a hmm response but now I think it may be a goer! How much though? DO you pay for phone clothese etc

AllDirections Sun 23-Sep-12 19:23:14

That's a really good idea Jobforlife

eatyourveg Sun 23-Sep-12 19:25:48

Re How much - what about suggesting you give the equivalent of the minimum wage that your dc would have earned had the voluntary job been a paid one. You could then forgo paying for clothes and going out as they would be covered by earned income.

Jobforlife Sun 23-Sep-12 19:39:31

We are giving a bit less than minimum wage. We're not in a position to pay more tbh, but the charity is close to our heart.... I hope by 'under paying' she might still have some motivation to seek paid employment??
We pay for her mobile (no more than a fiver a month usually) and clothes (she's quite happy in the cheaper shops and doesn't need 'designer' labels).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now