Talk

Advanced search

Anyone whose teenagers have had teeth removed for braces...

(22 Posts)
misspollysdolly Fri 21-Sep-12 19:42:03

How was it for you? And for them?? We're they in lots of pain and discomfort? Did they have days away from school? DD is booked in to have teeth out mid-November on a Wednesday. I'm assuming that she may not be in school for the rest of the week, but am interested in the experiences of others. Thanks in advance. MPD

Shinyshoes1 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:51:55

My Ds2 had 2 baby teeth out in Wednesday ready for braces early next year .

They numbed the top of his mouth . He was ok but it was a few needles to numb and one of them hurt him as he said ARRRGH ! He said it was only the one .

The removal of the teeth was fine he said . A strange feeling like pressure but he wasn't in pain . One had a dirty great root and took a bit of tugging and the other slid out with no fuss at all .

He was advised to take ibuprofen as after 3 hours the numbness would have worn off and he felt a dull ache.
He bled vet very briefly when we were in the bus in the way home but they had given me gauze in anticipation of this.

He was advised not to take party in P.E the day after cos of bleeding. But he was fine to go to school the next day and is still fine now

MrsApplepants Fri 21-Sep-12 19:52:13

I had 2 back teeth out as a teenager for braces. It wasn't too bad, the anthesetic (sp?) injections were the worst part. Had it done on thurs, went back to school on the Monday, not because of pain, but jaw was a bit swollen and still a bit of blood. The braces themselves however...

MrsApplepants Fri 21-Sep-12 19:52:47

Forgot to say, they were adult back teeth that we're removed.

Shinyshoes1 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:53:01

Sorry for A few typos I'm on my mobile phone lol

FlibberdeGibbet Fri 21-Sep-12 19:55:34

My DD has had 2 side (not a technical term) teeth removed, on 2 separate occasions. There was a bit of bleeding afterwards, and she took nurofen that night, but no problems, and no time off school needed.

SirGOLDBoobs Fri 21-Sep-12 19:56:59

Huge over reaction to predict she won't be in school for the rest of the week. Its not that bad at all. Injection is the worst part, and that's over in all of five seconds. I had three adult teeth removed, and was back in school working on a DT project with some cotton wool to such up the blood half hour later.

Seriously, it will be fine. I was hugely anxious about it, took a CD player and everything to help me stay calm (lovely dentist), didn't get thirty seconds into the first track before it was all over with.

The braces themselves will be a lot worse, and I think a lot of people usually have a day off when they're first fitted.

bluebump Fri 21-Sep-12 20:02:12

I had 4 back teeth taken out for braces when I was a teen. It wasn't too bad, the worst thing was going back a week after having the first two out to have the next two out. I don't remember being off school at all.

My mum was all dramatic and found it more traumatic in the room with me and had to sit and smoke a cigarette as she felt too ill and light headed to drive me home afterwards hmm

KentuckyFriedChildren Fri 21-Sep-12 20:10:35

I had 8 adult teeth taken out for my braces when I was 12. and I still have a full set so I'm clearly a wierdo I went back to school after. My parents must love me grin it wasn't that bad really. Sore for a few days but no worse than getting the actual braces tightened.

ISpyPlumPie Fri 21-Sep-12 20:11:31

I had four teeth out for braces when I was 11, so 20 a few years ago now. I was put to sleep with gas, but not sure they do that any more. The gas did make me sick (the memory almost put me off using G&A in labour many years later but glad I decided to rethink that one grin). Don't remember it being especially painful and was back in school the next day.

It was very painful eating at first when the braces were actually fitted and this lasted for a few days. It also hurt eating for a couple of days when they were tightened sometimes. Having said that, I had friends who didn't seem to suffer as much so guess it varies quite a bit from person to person.

Hope everything goes well for your DD smile.

MummyPig24 Sat 22-Sep-12 05:58:09

I hope it goes well for your dd. As long as the area is properly numbed she should be grand. I had a root canal age 16, tooth cracked and became infected at 20 and had to have it extracted at hospital. The gum tore so I needed stitches but I believe it was a result of previous infection making it weak. I sturdy overnight with my nan as I was on my own with an 11mth old. It was bloody painful for a few days but had it been straightforward as your dds should be it would have been fine the next day.

dexter73 Sat 22-Sep-12 07:29:07

My dd had 4 teeth out for her braces. She had 2 taken out after school on the Tuesday, and 2 out after school on the Wednesday, and then was back in school on the Thursday. They were a bit sore but she took ibuprofen and was just careful with what she ate (soft foods).

SarryB Sat 22-Sep-12 07:36:09

I had 4 teeth out for braces when I was 17 (about 10 years ago) - it did hurt like buggery.
Mum dosed me up with cocodamol and I laid on the couch for 2 days, sipping cool soup for food.

4 years later, I had beautifully straight teeth, worth all that pain!

misspollysdolly Sat 22-Sep-12 13:01:03

Thanks for all your replies. DD is having them removed under GA but in a bit worried that this might actually be worse since they are sometimes a bit rougher when patients are knocked out. This is also my reasoning behind her being away from school for the two days following, but this is mot written in stone at all. Believe me, if she's well enough for school she will going in! I haven't told her the date yet - too far off for stressing about it. I have just realised however that the weekend following the surgery she is due to go to Guide camp....here's hoping she's well enough for that. Thanks everyone! MPD

coral Sat 22-Sep-12 16:21:54

My dd have 2 teeth out for braces - sore afterwards but nothing that neurofen couldn't sort out and back at school following day. This was with local anaesthetic injections at the dentist.

However, I think it will take longer for your dd to recover from the GA - dd had to have a GA to remove an infected lump from the back of her knee - although the op was quite short (less than 30 mins) she felt really terrible afterwards and it took her a good 2 days at least to fully shake off the the effects of it so I reckon your dd will probably not be up to going into school for the rest of the week.

bigwombat Sat 22-Sep-12 19:38:45

Hi dd1 had 4 teeth out Pre brace fitting, but under injection on 2 separate occasions a week apart. Was absolutely fine, no need for time off school.

However, if under GA, I think there's general advice to take it easy for 24 hours afterwards, so a day off school is probably sensible. She's likely to feel groggier - my dd2 has had 5 GAs, usually is cranky for a good day afterwards.

OwedToAutumn Sat 22-Sep-12 19:42:19

I had adult teeth out, and my mother sent me into school straight from the dentist.

I don't recommend that, but she should be fine by the next day.

OwedToAutumn Sat 22-Sep-12 19:44:13

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise it was under a GA. In that case, maybe another day off afterwards.

out2lunch Sat 22-Sep-12 19:47:16

only need rest of day off school
its a bit awful small amounts of blood but not that bad - get painkillers and soft food fave drinks
let them lay on sofa for rest of day but they will be fine next day

both mine had it done - ds has now finished with braces and he has amazing hollywood teeth smile

Themumsnot Sat 22-Sep-12 19:47:42

DD had three adult teeth out, no GA. No problem at all. She then had a brace to move teeth back so eyeteeth had room to come through. They didn't, so she had GA to cut her gums and attach chains to pull them through. She was fine, had one day off school and that was it. I would have thought one day to recover from GA will be all your DD will need.

out2lunch Sat 22-Sep-12 19:49:56

sorry didn't see ga - prob a few days then
dd had milk teeth out with ga don't remember her being especially groggy afterwards

Miltonia Sun 23-Sep-12 16:39:50

My DD had a load of teeth taken out under GA. We had it done on a Friday so I knew she would be fine for school by the Monday. That was three years ago. The braces all came off last week and her teeth look fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now